British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-05-19, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Personally, I would not even consider Ebay, I much prefer to walk into an actual RBL shop and physically buy and walk out with whatsoever I might want, be it a box of Christmas cards or a poppy.
I feel the same way but people don't always have access to a shop , a lot will go on to the Poppy Shop website only to find that the items they want are not even available for sale there.

It is 11 days until D-Day and the first thing I knew about the anniversary poppy pin was when I saw it on eBay ........ and I'm an RBL member who regularly checks the Poppy Shop website.

A final point about eBay , a seller can sign up to automatically donate all profits from particular items directly to a charity of their choice. A charity ribbon appears next to the item and in the text it states what percentage is donated (seller also get back a portion of eBay fees).

The Royal British Legion has a "shop" on eBay but have no items at all for sale and haven't had anything for between 3-6 months (these were mainly signed football shirts which were auctioned off ).

Last edited by mike_vee; 26-05-19 at 09:38 PM.
Old 28-05-19, 08:20 AM

Yes, many people certainly don't have physical access to a shop, there seem precious few actually on the high street and of those that are, I have never been inside one that has the full range of stock available.
I walked past a larger branch yesterday and there appeared to be absolutely no D Day related material, whatsoever, for sale, which was a little surprising given that they had sold both the handsome Somme and Passchendaele poppies in 2016 and 2017 respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I feel the same way but people don't always have access to a shop , a lot will go on to the Poppy Shop website only to find that the items they want are not even available for sale there.

It is 11 days until D-Day and the first thing I knew about the anniversary poppy pin was when I saw it on eBay ........ and I'm an RBL member who regularly checks the Poppy Shop website.

A final point about eBay , a seller can sign up to automatically donate all profits from particular items directly to a charity of their choice. A charity ribbon appears next to the item and in the text it states what percentage is donated (seller also get back a portion of eBay fees).

The Royal British Legion has a "shop" on eBay but have no items at all for sale and haven't had anything for between 3-6 months (these were mainly signed football shirts which were auctioned off ).
Old 28-05-19, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Yes, many people certainly don't have physical access to a shop, there seem precious few actually on the high street and of those that are, I have never been inside one that has the full range of stock available.
I walked past a larger branch yesterday and there appeared to be absolutely no D Day related material, whatsoever, for sale, which was a little surprising given that they had sold both the handsome Somme and Passchendaele poppies in 2016 and 2017 respectively.
They are doing themselves no favours , if people can't get official stuff from them (in store or on-line) then they will buy from eBay , which is what the RBL is (apparently) trying to stamp out.

From a more positive D-Day angle , the Battle of Britain Bunker (Uxbridge) is holding a 4 day event (6th-9th June) . Tour , exibition , lectures and a screening of ....The Longest Day !

As it is walking distance from my place I hope to attend all events.
Old 06-06-19, 10:02 PM

What on earth am I missing?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F133074199573

Our branch now has these and like everyone else they are £3 each.

On the subject of official sellers on eBay, my PAO keeps telling me that he has been told he is not allowed to put pins etc on it or any similar site, he is only supposed to collect within our branch area and is supposed to report any that he sees.

Michael
Old 07-06-19, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post

On the subject of official sellers on eBay, my PAO keeps telling me that he has been told he is not allowed to put pins etc on it or any similar site, he is only supposed to collect within our branch area and is supposed to report any that he sees.

Michael
Hi Michael ,

These pins originally had a starting price of £2.75 + postage , there was also a "make an offer" option. I paid £5.00 which is the amount I would have given a Poppy seller if they were available. The seller donates 100% of money to the RBL.

The fact that bidding on this pin has now reached £23.00 and there is still 4 days to go shows that people want this pin and (in my opinion) the RBL has made a serious error in the marketing/distribution of this item.

I saw this problem coming when the D-Day pins were not available from Poppy Shop.

I reported another seller for charging £9.99 (he has sold 3 pins) , I didn't get a reply but the listing now states that "the item is no longer available".

As I have said previously , if the RBL/Poppy Shop are not going to make these items available to the general public then people will look elsewhere and that will encourage copies and 'profiteering'.

Added info : I can't understand why bidding is at £23.00 when another seller is offering D-Day pin for £3.99 "Buy it now".

Last edited by mike_vee; 07-06-19 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 07-06-19, 10:03 AM

I supplied 100 pins to Knarsbough RBL to sell on their stall at Knarsbough Market on Wednesday and the almost sold out, I took 100 to the Harrogate Cenotaph D-Day 75 commemoration yesterday and did sell out, along with 60 2019 pins...

I do not sell on e-bay or other bidding sites, but do offer the odd pin here and on my military web site.

RBL 'Poppy Appeal' would do well if they created a 'Poppy Shop' on e-bay selling direct to the public those items that are for sale by PAO's where this years distribution of pins has been haphazard to say the least.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 07-06-19, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post

RBL 'Poppy Appeal' would do well if they created a 'Poppy Shop' on e-bay selling direct to the public those items that are for sale by PAO's where this years distribution of pins has been haphazard to say the least.
RBL have had an eBay shop since 2012 but they have recently (past 6 months) only really used it to auction off signed football shirts.

I completely agree that PAO's/Branches need an outlet where they can officially sell "old stock" that they have left over after Remembrance Day. Anyone selling would have to be 'registered' and all profit automatically donated to RBL.
Old 07-06-19, 10:18 AM

PoppyScotland also issued a D-Day 75th Anniversary pin/badge (brooch fitting) , available from their online shop for £4.50 + postage.

Have included other pin for size comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190607_105815.jpg (38.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-06-19, 04:05 PM

I suppose supply and demand will always up the price but it always makes me wonder when you see this sort of thing particularly when some people complain about the suggested amount in November
Old 07-06-19, 04:54 PM

I have to say that many people put in £5 & £10 notes as well as a few £20's for a poppy pin in November and others moan about it!

As you know Poppy Sellers in November are not allowed to state a fixed price and only suggest £2 for a pin, and yes some put in less...

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 07-06-19, 08:16 PM

Does anyone know if these poppies were manufactured in Great Britain, it is a little disturbing to even consider that the hallowed sand from Arromanches might have been processed elsewhere.

Quote:
Just out of interest, are these poppies actually made in Great Britain like the Somme poppies were?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
My poppy arrived today, the card dedicates it to Marine Cyril Bainbridge who died on 6th June 1944.

Due to the wonders of the internet I found that he was in 47 RM Commando, aged 23 and from Old Basford, Nottingham.

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cd...list/1371.page
Old 08-06-19, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if these poppies were manufactured in Great Britain, it is a little disturbing to even consider that the hallowed sand from Arromanches might have been processed elsewhere.
I have not found any information about who manufactuered these or where they were made.

The 4 "Centenary" pins (Flanders Fields , Passchendaele 100 , Somme 100 and Thank You) were made by TMB Art Metal of London and each came with a small "Provenance Certification" card , the D-Day 75 ones do not have any information with them.

The fact that Poppy Shop/RBL make no mention about where these were made is strange , I will e-mail them but don't think I'll get a response as they would not want negative publicty if they were manufactuered overseas.
Old 08-06-19, 04:21 PM

It is really annoying to think that particular sand might have been on a trip "east" before being mixed with the black enamel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I have not found any information about who manufactuered these or where they were made.

The 4 "Centenary" pins (Flanders Fields , Passchendaele 100 , Somme 100 and Thank You) were made by TMB Art Metal of London and each came with a small "Provenance Certification" card , the D-Day 75 ones do not have any information with them.

The fact that Poppy Shop/RBL make no mention about where these were made is strange , I will e-mail them but don't think I'll get a response as they would not want negative publicty if they were manufactuered overseas.
Old 11-06-19, 07:52 PM

One enterprising seller on ebay has some available at a buy it now price of £29.99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post

Michael
Old 12-06-19, 09:12 AM

Quote:
One enterprising seller on ebay has some available at a buy it now price of £29.99.
At the moment there are 6 different sellers with the cheapest being £5.00 , another at £20.00 and 3 taking 'bids'. Only 1 of the sellers (bids up to £8.50) has stated that 100% profits going to RBL , all the others do not mention the charity at all !

I pointed out the ridiculous prices being asked to the RBL , I also questioned where the D-Day 75 lapel pins were made . Their response was ;

"Thanks for bringing this to our attention, i will forward this over to poppy appeal."

I won't hold my breath waiting for a reply.