British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-10-14, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
It looks as though they were as confused as we are !
I'll go through ALs 1881 - 1920 when I'm next in a library.
Certainly one of the most puzzling that I've ever come across and looking in the Army Lists makes it worse, as there is the 7th Bn, Kings(Liverpool Regt) and the 7th(IOM)Vol Bn, Kings(Liverpool Regt).

It was mentioned earlier that the 7th(IOM)V.B. were attached to Western District and yet again there is no mention of them in the T.F. Annual Returns. So it makes you wonder under what Regulations were they allowed to flourish? The Regulations for the Volunteer Force were after 1908 obsolete and only Regulations for the Territorial Force remained in circulation - so did they just make it up as they went along, as they weren't regarded as Territorials?
Old 23-02-19, 11:14 AM

Default MANX cap badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
I was very pleased to win this photo of an Isle of Man soldier being sold on E bay by an American seller. The photograph is by a local Photographer G.H. Evans of 18,Prospect Hill, Douglas, Isle of Man.

Frustratingly whilst the pattern on the G.S. buttons can be clearly seen, the wording on the circle on the cap badge cannot even with a glass. The 7th ( IOM ) V.B., Kings Liverpool Regiment and the WW1 Isle of Man Volunteers had very similar cap badges ( figures 5 and 8 in the second photo ).

To me the uniforms suggests WW1 Isle of Man Volunteers but I would be interested if any members have any ideas.

P.B.
I know an old thread but returning to the original post =Knowing some Manx habits I would hazard the wording is just "QUOCUNQUE JECERIS STABIT" = very loosely translated as "which ever way you throw me I stand" [I emphasise very loosely translated, but I'm sure I'll get corrected - But not my purpose for this post!!!]

As per my attached cap badge photo - I would be interested to have feedback on this one (OD of circular part 30mm, 46mm tall, pin lugs 20mm apart)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9076.jpg (95.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9075.jpg (58.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 23-02-19, 06:16 PM

It is an Isle of Man Police shoulder badge.

Dave.
Old 23-02-19, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
It is an Isle of Man Police shoulder badge.

Dave.

Thanks for your quick reply. :-)

I'm a real novice - so that will teach me to hazard at a cap badge! :-/

Inherited it from a Manx source - naturally, isn't that often the case, it's a solo and there isn't a pair as I suspect there should be. :-(

Never mind - I like it and the memories of Ellan Vannin it evokes. :-)

Any idea of period please?
Old 23-02-19, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock1418 View Post
Thanks for your quick reply. :-)

I'm a real novice - so that will teach me to hazard at a cap badge! :-/

Inherited it from a Manx source - naturally, isn't that often the case, it's a solo and there isn't a pair as I suspect there should be. :-(

Never mind - I like it and the memories of Ellan Vannin it evokes. :-)

Any idea of period please?
Between 1935 (when chrome plating began to be used) and 1953. It was also used on the stand collar of the tunic.

Dave.
Old 25-02-19, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Between 1935 (when chrome plating began to be used) and 1953. It was also used on the stand collar of the tunic.

Dave.
Many thanks.