British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-09-16, 11:17 AM

Default 'On War Service' Munitions Workers

I recently acquired a group photo of women munitions workers, in which all the ladies are wearing armbands. Can anyone enlighten me as to their significance, please? In other photos I have of women munitions workers, the armbands are not present.

With thanks,

JT

Old 29-09-16, 06:19 PM

Hello JT

A lovely photo, so thanks for sharing.

Just a thought, but any chance that the armbands are black mourning bands?

Unusual perhaps to see so many worn in one photo but perhaps a well-liked colleague/factory foreman/owner had been killed?

Roger
Old 29-09-16, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
Hello JT

A lovely photo, so thanks for sharing.

Just a thought, but any chance that the armbands are black mourning bands?

Unusual perhaps to see so many worn in one photo but perhaps a well-liked colleague/factory foreman/owner had been killed?

Roger
Hello Roger,

Thanks for your reply.

Being in mourning did cross my mind, though I must confess not to having considered anything other than mourning in the 'national' sense (such as a monarch etc). Obviously no British monarch expired during the Great War period, so I wondered if it might be in respect perhaps of somebody such as Lord Kitchener.

Your theory makes perfect sense though. Thank you.
Old 29-09-16, 08:22 PM

As they are not being worn on the same sleeve, maybe it is a form of shift or job identification.

Marc
Old 29-09-16, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
As they are not being worn on the same sleeve, maybe it is a form of shift or job identification.

Marc
That's a thought, Marc.

Just seen this on the GWF:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/fo...omment-1887779
Old 20-05-17, 07:36 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39434504

JT
Old 04-02-19, 01:31 AM

Hi

I purchased a postcard of a "munitionette" wearing an armband that seems to read "M.F.8". I partly bought it because it looked a lot like my dear late Irish mother-in-law (yes, there are some nice ones out there....) but also because of the armband.

I'm guessing that this is "Munitions Factory 8" and there may even be another number hidden beyond the curve of the armband. It's hard to tell from a b & w picture, but I would say the armband is dark (blue or black) and the applique (?) letters are a red or a lighter colour.

Another related item is a pink (possibly faded over the years but it seems that this was its colour as it is more or less the same on the inside) cloth armband that has a "1916" badge pinned to it.

Can provide photos of these if the interest is there.
Old 04-02-19, 03:37 PM
Glosters Cloth

My Gran - Mary Ellen Hooper - was a Canary Girl at Munitions Filling Factory No. 7, Hayes Middlesex. I have many pictures of Gran in her work uniform wearing her numbered triangle badge, which I have, but none with her wearing any armbands. Gran did tell me that nine or ten girls (and men) were killed by explosions or poisoning and the armbands may well be for that purpose? Gran said she turned yellow several times, hence the nickname the girls were given. I would post a picture but I haven't worked out how to do it yet.
Old 04-02-19, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glosters Cloth View Post
My Gran - Mary Ellen Hooper - was a Canary Girl at Munitions Filling Factory No. 7, Hayes Middlesex. I have many pictures of Gran in her work uniform wearing her numbered triangle badge, which I have, but none with her wearing any armbands. Gran did tell me that nine or ten girls (and men) were killed by explosions or poisoning and the armbands may well be for that purpose? Gran said she turned yellow several times, hence the nickname the girls were given. I would post a picture but I haven't worked out how to do it yet.
Very much look forward to seeing any of those you choose to share once you've mastered uploading pictures.

JT
Old 05-02-19, 01:16 AM

Hi all

Based on the previous reply that postcard MAY be "N.F.F.". I also have a file card for a woman (with photo) and her 1916 badge.

I've already posted with variations of the 1916 badge - some miniatures in silver, some smaller versions obviously made from scrap in the "downtime" from work. I've even got one that has been enamelled in red and blue plus one with "service bars" soldered on the base of the triangle.

I've often wondered why the 1916 badge had such sharp edges and I have noticed that there appears to be a version with rounded corners. The chances of catching your fingers, etc. seem obvious....

I recently saw a listing with a named group photo, a 1916 badge AND an ID tag with a number that matched the "triangle" badge. The tag was marked "N.F.F." with "10" from memory.

Missed out by a few quid.......
Old 05-02-19, 03:23 AM

Hi

This discussion has reminded me of quite a good book written by a former "munitionette" ( I believe that they were also called "Tommy's sisters" after the notion of Tommy Atkins). The title is "Three Years or the Duration" by Peggy Hamilton.

I've just checked and it would appear that it has either been reprinted or is still available as an original from Book Depository.
Old 15-02-19, 02:20 AM

Hi all

During one of my recent "hunting trips" for YET more "stuff", I found this postcard. Not yet acquired as it is a tad expensive.

Anyone care to guess the meaning of those letters? Guess that "Q.F." could be "Quick Firing" although I am aware of some other, less polite versions....

Would "C" be "CARTRIDGE" and "F" "FACTORY"?

And I guess that making munitions was a serious business, judging by those expressions....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg munit.jpg (70.4 KB, 23 views)

Tags
munitions worker, on war service