British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-09-13, 02:17 PM

Default SAS Wings

Hi All,

I would be grateful for your opinions on these wings as to whether they are;

1. A genuine issue set or reproduction.

2. 23rd SAS.

3. Modern/current as I suspect.

Thanks,
Jack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1899 f.jpg (37.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1901r.jpg (32.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 17-09-13, 08:47 PM

Default Drooping wings

Hi Jack,

These wings are modern reproductions of the fifties-sixties drooping or downswept wings. They are not issued wings.

In Bragg & Turner's 'Parachute Badges and Insignia of the World' the downswept wing is associated with 23 SAS, but in fact that is not true.

The original downswept wings were private purchase and worn by all British SAS regiments and also the Rhodesian and New Zealand units. The wings were worn from the fifties (including Malaya period) and well into the sixties and early seventies.

The predecessor of the downswept wing is the so called 1949 pattern, which is a bit similar, but straight, rather than downswept.

See some pics of 3 early downswept wings. Some have cloth backs and some have a grey paper back.

Also, for comparison, the 1949 pattern, which first appeared in 21 SAS and later in Malaya.

Cheers,

Johan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 downswept patterns compared front.jpg (57.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 3 patterns compared back.jpg (33.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg wings 1949 front.jpg (11.4 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by johanwiegman; 17-09-13 at 08:57 PM.
Old 17-09-13, 10:03 PM

Hi Johan,

Thank you for your informative reply, I was hoping you would contribute. I had read that they were exclusive to 23 SAS so thanks for clearing that up.

As a reproduction they mostly resemble the top one in your photograph of three to my eyes. I will keep it in the repro box until a real one comes along from a reliable source.

I like your 1949 pattern wing by the way.

Cheers,

Jack
Old 17-09-13, 10:31 PM

Default Downswept wings

hi Jack,

The top wing may have been in the laundry a few times. These wings do shrink over time; some get really small.

As in all SAS wings, you can see a great many variations as they were made in different batches and possibly in different locations.

I have a version made locally in Aden. Travelling SAS troopers took a wing to a local tailor and asked for it to be copied. See picture.

Originals are not that difficult to find. Just ask around and check Ebay or the Classifieds on this Forum.

Cheers,

Johan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2025a.jpg (46.1 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by johanwiegman; 17-09-13 at 10:38 PM.
Old 18-09-13, 12:36 AM

Hi Johan,

Thanks for the additional information. I will do.

That's a nice wing as well.

Cheers,
Jack
Old 18-09-13, 01:19 AM
Banned

Hello Johan, could you explain what Rhodesian SAS para wings were downswept?
Old 18-09-13, 05:44 AM

Default Rhodesian SAS

Hi Peter,

The downswept wing was also worn by members of C Squadron in Malaya.

I have some evidence of that.

Of course. It was still officially British Army then.

Cheers,

Johan
Old 18-09-13, 08:22 AM
Banned

Ok. I thought you might have meant a Rhodesian made SAS para wing.
Old 18-09-13, 06:48 PM

Great thread and many thanks to Johan as I always thought these down-swept SAS wings were 23rd SAS. I have these two SAS wings in my collection that I thought were 23rd SAS. Now the top one sort of looks like the 1949 pattern and the bottom one I'm hoping is similar to the top wing in your photo of three. Is this the case?

3 (2).jpg

3 (1).jpg
Old 18-09-13, 08:13 PM

Default Wings

Hi,

Yes, top wing is definitely the 1949 pattern. This appeared first in 21 SAS and was worn for quite a while during the late fifties. It exists in some variations (mainly in reverse material: white cloth, black cloth, black shiny cheesecloth or yellowish paper). It was certainly worn in Malaya, sometimes fitted with press studs.

Bottom wing is a nice example of downswept wing with black cloth back.

Your pics also helps to study the differences between the two patterns:

The 1949 pattern is not downswept, rather straight, somewhat wider than bottom wing, with slightly more protruding top feathers, darker blue in colour and with slightly bigger canopy; rigging lines are stitched rather than embroidered, not straight but rather wobbly. Yarn used is a bit thicker than in later downswept wing. The wing was fully machine made and most are very regular in shape. Once you have seen the 1949 and studied it a bit, you will recognize it straight away.

The bottom wing is brighter blue, exists in more variations, some are fairly straight, some slightly downswept and some really downswept. The canopy is slightly smaller than in 1949. Rigging lines are also stitched, wobbly, similar as in 1949 pattern. Yarn used is a bit thinner. Reverse material is black hessian, black shiny cheese cloth or grey paper material.

Cheers,

Johan

Last edited by johanwiegman; 18-09-13 at 10:20 PM.
Old 18-09-13, 08:54 PM

Hi,

I think those of us who are interested have learned a lot from this thread thanks to Johan. Knowledge is King as they say. Fortunately my repro was not expensive, I feel more confident now armed with what I have learned here of buying a genuine example of this type of wing.

I anyone else has examples particularly any variations it would be great to see them.

Jack
Old 18-09-13, 09:10 PM

Default SAS Wings

Johan, fantastic information, very informative, would you know where the idea that down swept wings were of 23 SAS comes from? like many I always thought that, though really don't know why?

Regards

Tony
Old 18-09-13, 09:44 PM

Default Wings

Hi Tony,

Yes, the reference to 23 SAS comes from the 1979 book 'Parachute badges and insignia of the World' by Bob Bragg anf Roy Turner, both good friends and true authorities in the field of collecting parachute wings.

If you read the description of the wing, it says (page 161): "The downswept variation has been seen worn by the 23rd SAS (TAVR). The upswept style by the 22nd SAS of the Regular Army".

These statements are both fully true. However, fact is that all British SAS Regiments have worn the 2 variants.

Cheers,

Johan

Last edited by johanwiegman; 18-09-13 at 10:18 PM.
Old 18-09-13, 09:52 PM

Default Sharing information

Friends,

Half of the fun of collecting is hunting for good items and then finding them. Researching the items you find and sharing information with collector friends is the other half...

Cheers,

Johan
Old 18-09-13, 10:27 PM

Johan,

Many thanks for the confirmation on these SAS wings.