British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-04-16, 05:33 AM

Default Unusual 'Gaunt' Mark

About a year ago I came across this badge at a local boot sale and was surprised to see the unusual maker mark on the slider. Presumably manufactured around the early days of the Brigade system when the 1st East Anglians were in Germany. Reasonably sure Gaunt did not have a plant in based on the Continent at this time (if ever). If anyone can shed light on this unusual maker mark, I’d be extremely grateful.

Looks like a good badge in all respects. Front view shows the standard East Anglia pattern, but that ‘Berlin’ mark on the slider must surely be a bit of a rarity. One of several badges I bought as a small lot, but the only one in the group with this MM. Odd to see ‘Berlin’ stamped on a British badge. Looks to be well made and genuine in all other respects.

Berlin (1).jpgBerlin (2).jpg
Old 01-04-16, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
About a year ago I came across this badge at a local boot sale and was surprised to see the unusual maker mark on the slider. Presumably manufactured around the early days of the Brigade system when the 1st East Anglians were in Germany. Reasonably sure Gaunt did not have a plant in based on the Continent at this time (if ever). If anyone can shed light on this unusual maker mark, I’d be extremely grateful.

Looks like a good badge in all respects. Front view shows the standard East Anglia pattern, but that ‘Berlin’ mark on the slider must surely be a bit of a rarity. One of several badges I bought as a small lot, but the only one in the group with this MM. Odd to see ‘Berlin’ stamped on a British badge. Looks to be well made and genuine in all other respects.

Attachment 145752Attachment 145753
Nice, never seen one like that,thanks for posting it. Will have to get me one 😀
Old 01-04-16, 06:17 AM

Hi JT,
I know Berlin had a special budget for the British and other forces paid for by the W.German government, this included lots of things - hausfrau's (cleaners) and family ration income supplements ( a way of rotating food stocks if if blockaded by the Russians/E.Germans) I believe this may have extended to equipment and your badge may have been a a gaunt observation of who paid for it???
Paul
Old 01-04-16, 07:54 AM

Default Berlin

Thanks for posting - nice find

Yes, I'm sure I have come across this badge MM before. I have a feeling that I saw one on a dealers site just a week or two ago. I can't recall who though at the moment but it came with a heavy price tag, well into three figures

John
Old 01-04-16, 08:04 AM

Hello Jelly Terror

This is related to buttons, not badges, but it may be of some help.

Buttons with a 'J R Gaunt Montreal' (and variations thereof) are quite common but Gaunt only had an office in Montreal, no production facility, all their 'Montreal' marked buttons were made here in the UK (unless anyone knows different!).

Is it possible that Gaunt had an office in Berlin and for a while marked products ordered though that office with the 'Berlin' mark? Just a thought.

Regards
Roger
Old 01-04-16, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

I have moved this to the a/a as Hagwalther may be able to help.
Old 01-04-16, 08:41 AM

Not come across a Berlin mark before,no doubt a friend of mine will now be pulling his hair out.
The badge appears to be constructed in the same way as the other Gaunt badges that are known.
The 1st East Anglian were based in Berlin from its inception in 1959 until 1961 when it moved back to the UK .
So its likely that it belonged to the 1st E Ang Rgt.
Old 01-04-16, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawstonjohn View Post
Thanks for posting - nice find

Yes, I'm sure I have come across this badge MM before. I have a feeling that I saw one on a dealers site just a week or two ago. I can't recall who though at the moment but it came with a heavy price tag, well into three figures

John
Apologies - it was Royal Scots Regiment
Old 01-04-16, 09:36 AM

Best April Fool's I've seen yet.
Old 01-04-16, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Best April Fool's I've seen yet.
First prize to Mr. Blakeman

Come on you ‘orrible lot… it’s April 1st!!!

Probably going to be court martialled for this but have another butcher’s:

About a year ago I came across this badge at a local boot sale and was surprised to see the unusual maker mark on the slider. Presumably manufactured around the early days of the Brigade system when the 1st East Anglians were in Germany. Reasonably sure Gaunt did not have a plant based on the Continent at this time (if ever). If anyone can shed light on this unusual maker mark, I’d be extremely grateful.

Looks like a good badge in all respects. Front view shows the standard East Anglia pattern, but that ‘Berlin’ mark on the slider must surely be a bit of a rarity. One of several badges I bought as a small lot, but the only one in the group with this MM. Odd to see ‘Berlin’ stamped on a British badge. Looks to be well made and genuine in all other respects
Old 01-04-16, 09:45 AM

Lol
There is another thread from February last year by Ticker Reilly which mentions the Berlin mm.
Paul
+ thread was started by former member Andy - Grenadier Guards - Montreal. post 39 by TR

Last edited by Paul Spellman; 01-04-16 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-04-16, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
First prize to Mr. Blakeman

Come on you ‘orrible lot… it’s April 1st!!!

Probably going to be court martialled for this but have another butcher’s:

About a year ago I came across this badge at a local boot sale and was surprised to see the unusual maker mark on the slider. Presumably manufactured around the early days of the Brigade system when the 1st East Anglians were in Germany. Reasonably sure Gaunt did not have a plant based on the Continent at this time (if ever). If anyone can shed light on this unusual maker mark, I’d be extremely grateful.

Looks like a good badge in all respects. Front view shows the standard East Anglia pattern, but that ‘Berlin’ mark on the slider must surely be a bit of a rarity. One of several badges I bought as a small lot, but the only one in the group with this MM. Odd to see ‘Berlin’ stamped on a British badge. Looks to be well made and genuine in all other respects
Nice one!
Old 01-04-16, 10:42 AM

Just a bit of fun on an April Fool's Friday. No harm or malice intended, and thank you all so much for being such good sports.

Regards to all,

JT
Old 01-04-16, 10:45 AM

Jelly Bean tried this out on me about a month ago, can't tell you how relieved I am that I wasn't the only one that fell for it
Old 01-04-16, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
Jelly Bean tried this out on me about a month ago, can't tell you how relieved I am that I wasn't the only one that fell for it
Well, I fell for it hook line and sinker! So plausible, so well done, even down to the 'fake' photo ...or was it a fake photo! Perhaps Jelly Bean is now producing 'J R Gaunt Berlin' sliders which we will shortly see on ebay!