British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-10-10, 01:22 AM
Banned

Default Info required on Para Wing

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone can give me any info on this para wing including years issued etc. Thanks.

P10100472.jpg
P1010048.jpeg
Old 31-10-10, 08:48 PM

Peter, it looks like a standard bullion set from No.1 dress. By the appearance I'd say 1950-1960. All bullion wings are private purchase, so impossible to pin it down to a specific Tailor. However most likely Glover & Riding Aldershot.
Old 01-11-10, 02:35 AM
Banned

Thanks for that. The para wing came together with a bullion blazer badge for the Rhodesian Staff Corps (Kings Crown) and a rare bullion blazer badge for the Rhodesian LRDG. No name as of yet.

Even though the para wings for Rhodesians were made in England at that stage, it is quite possible that this wing was made for a Rhodesian who served in the LRDG and then served as an officer in the Rhodesian Army after the war.

I welcome any opinions.
Old 09-02-11, 09:18 PM

Default Info required on Para Wings

A poorly made example of Parachute Wings for No I Dress (i.e Navy Background or Non Teeth Arm Mess Dress Jacket, an example for use on Mess Dress (worn by SNCO's, WO's and Officers only) would be only be on Blue Backbround for Non Teeth Arm units whose Mess Dress Jackets would have been Blue, Teeth arm ( Parachute Regiment, Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers Officers and WO's /SNCO's) Mess Dress Jackets would be in Red with appropriate lapel colour for their arm of service.
Old 09-02-11, 09:34 PM

The Mess Dress Jacket for the Royal Regiment of Artillery is blue with red lapels, the correct background colour for all badges is dark blue, and red for chevrons and badges of rank.
Old 14-02-11, 01:48 PM

Default Parachute Wings

Virtually identical to a pair worn on my RA mess kit jacket from 1965-73. Mine measured 50mm x 25mm.
Mike
Old 14-02-11, 06:41 PM

Default Para Wings

A follow-up to the above:
Assorted bits removed from my uniforms. The wings are 50mm x 25mm and 66mm x 27mm.
WMJ_Para Wings.jpg
Old 26-02-11, 11:16 PM

Default Erroneous Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
The Mess Dress Jacket for the Royal Regiment of Artillery is blue with red lapels, the correct background colour for all badges is dark blue, and red for chevrons and badges of rank.
My apologies to 54 Bty and Gunners everywhere - Yes of course - Mess Dress Jacket Colour for the Royal Regiment of Artillery and the Royal Horse Artillery is of course Navy Blue with Red Lapels.

It is the Royal Engineers whose Mess Dress Jacket colour is Red Jacket with Blue Lapels.