British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-12-10, 11:44 PM

Default NZ Long range patrol grouping

Hello fellows, I thought I might post my little story about this grouping and also the info

About the chap that it belonged to

About 2 months ago, I got passed on a phone number, for someone that wanted to sell an LRDG Badge; I was rather excited about this, so rung as soon as I could,
The bloke that picked up the phone was a 70 year old chap who explained to me that he was selling the badge of behalf of his long time friend who lived next door, Mrs McInnies. I explained to the chap what I do in regards to researching the LRDG etc, and about my collection etc and just a good old chat, "he was a very nice chap" I then asked for details of the badge, and the chap told me the name of the service man who had the badge, and his service number. And then read to me what was on the badge. I recall this very well, as he said, well its a little silver badge, with a scorpion on it, My ears pricked up. he then go's "well it’s got a LRP with a NZ then lrdg on the badge" at this stage I’m getting rather excited. And make an honest offer on the badge, and ask to interview the vets’ sister "Mrs McInnies"

So that all done, I start my research on the chap D.J Mcinnes 9651 I jumped right away in to

Kiwi Scorpions, as it has the details of troopers etc and if they served in the LRP, So my first findings was "Yes!" he is in the book, bugger though, he is not listed as been serving in the long range patrol, so I start thinking, mayhap he traded it from someone. But I thought I might dig some more! Just to make sure, I then read that he was MID, well! That got me going! so I rang Brendan O'Carroll the author, and told him of my story, and that I had found some information regarding this chap serving with the LRP and was it a miss type in his book" Brendan overlooked the LRP assn roster for members that served, and sure enough MR D J McInnes was there, in fact he is well mentioned in the book "Incident at Jebel Sherif" Brendan was a great help with the research, and told me a lot of information about the chap, I was very grateful!

I also found out he was found dead in AU in mid 43 rather odd for a service man to die while on leave! And more so to someone from the SF

So with this information in hand, I send for his service files,

so over 3 weeks of chatting with the chap that was selling the badge on behalf etc He said it was mine "I had a good friend pick it up, as I don’t trust the mail system with such a badge “It turns up, and WOW! It was just fantastic and oozed the correct wear and age, and hall marks. What it did have was a loop added at the top. For his Sister to wear as a necklace,
Since he died in 43. But it just adds to the story of the badge in my eyes

So at this stage his service files get here, and make a fantastic read, it had all the police reports regarding his death etc, "at this stage the family thought he had drowned" but reading in to the files, he did not Drown at all, but would found with blood in his nose and mouth, they said he died of heart issues" A bit odd for a super fit bloke who's family had no issues of Heart illness. But I read on anyhow about his service etc,

So I talked to the older fellow on the phone about my findings, and said I was a bit concerned that the family thought he had drowned, and my findings said otherwise. he was rather shocked to know that this information was so easy for me to find and access.

So I get a call from him a week later, saying he had something for me from McInnes, My ears jumped up, he told me it was a certificate to him, at this stage I’m almost shaking, so I asked him did have any mention about MID on the cert, he replied with a yes! at this stage I could not belive my luck, getting an LRP badge alone was my find of the decade, but with the Prov of his MID doco! I tell you I was a happy little fellow

So at this point I get abit of time off work, and Go down to meet the old fellow, so I sit down at his place and talk about his family that served etc and helped with info on his family members, he then he pulled out the MID doco for me, it was just fantastic, salty worn etc, he said it had just sat in a box with some photos, that MS McInnes also wanted me to Have!!!!
So looking at the items, and the photos was fantastic, the Old chap tryed to explain the photos to me etc, but was stuck on who was who, at this stage he says, ok lets go over and meet Mrs McInnes

So we head over the road,

A knock at the door and up rolls a rather fat staffy dog then a lady comes to the door with

the Warmest smile on her face,

Come in come in she said, so me and the old chap step in to the house. It was like a flash back, reminded me of my late grandmothers house, with the china on the walls and the Doyleys on the little seat side tables and backs of the seats. Ms McInnes said "sit down sit down" and then "Ok how about a cuppa T" first things first, out comes a cuppa T on a saucer mat this stage I say to her who I am etc, and what I do, and had a fantastic talk to her about her brother, she came from a very close family of 3 brothers and herself, she was the youngest, and D McInnes was the second youngest. I talked to her about the findings in the service files etc.

Now Mrs Mcinnes was 92, but the Sharpest knife in the draw, I hope if I ever reach that age that I would be so lucky to have all my facitys, hell she still had her license and had a car!

but back to the story talking about her Brother with her, she told me a few odds and ends of what he got up to during the war, and who was in each of the photos etc but didn’t know all the details about what he got upto as he never came home, and this is when I piped up and explained all the research I had found "Not stop talking for about 50min" Mrs McInnes was just overjoyed someone had taken the time to research her brother, it was quite a moment. to be honest a real eye opener, at times we research these old service man, and often I ponder to myself, is anyone except me and a few others interest in this information, well in regards to this service man, someone was, it was a great feeling to be able to fill the gaps in and also inform the family about information, one of those warm fuzzy moments.

and in regards to D McInnes death, she told me she had just been told that year, that some people around his place of death at the time, were sure he was Murdered. so the research still go's on Im trying to find out as much information as I can, I believe it might not be the case, but you never do know!

But not to cut the Story short, I will give you some information on the chap, whose items I now hold

"Shorty" Donald James McInnes MID

Parent unit was the 27th Machinegun reg.

Was part of the LRP and LRDG as a Gunner and Fitter

was at the Incident at Jebel Sherif as the gunner of T5 Te Paki "the truck is still out in the desert fuel tank was hit, and the Italian pow's on board killed in the crossfire, they managed to run and jump on the back of another truck to save themselfs

was found dead in the waters in the Freemantle Harbour AU on the 8th of July 1943, was missing from the 2nd of July 1943

I could post lots more info but the post is turning into a rather large read!

I hope you enjoyed the story as much as I did writing it, and more than happy to answer any questions etc

Kind regards and Merry Christmas

PS sorry on the typos etc atm, my Microsoft word is on the blink,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lrpsm.jpg (52.7 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by Kiwi ric; 23-12-10 at 12:07 AM.
Old 22-12-10, 11:46 PM

photos of my ugly mug and the lil grouping and Mrs McInnes

the group photo, Shorty is the chap in the front row at the far right,

the middle photo, he is the chap on the right,

and the back photo, is his older bother at his grave site
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1259.jpg (55.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1264.jpg (70.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1265.jpg (76.6 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Kiwi ric; 22-12-10 at 11:52 PM.
Old 23-12-10, 12:30 AM

Great posts, thanks.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 23-12-10, 01:20 AM

Fantastic story!
Thank you for sharing it.
Old 23-12-10, 01:50 AM

hi kiwi,

great story and the pics.i know you will keep this and anything else together as they should be.

merry xmas

philip
Old 23-12-10, 02:03 AM

Thanks for the feed back guys

and dont fret everything will be framed together
Old 23-12-10, 02:32 AM
Peter J

Ric,

Nicely done, mate.

If your are interested, I managed to find a picture of Donald's headstone at Perth War Cemetery HERE. (Plot J.B.3.)

Thanks for a great story.

Peter.

Last edited by Peter J; 23-12-10 at 02:55 AM.
Old 23-12-10, 03:37 AM

Wow what a great story! Cheers Brian
Old 23-12-10, 06:43 AM

Amazing that these things can still be found, great story.
Old 23-12-10, 03:20 PM
martin gregory

Default find of a lifetime

and in the right hands, fantastic story and research effort ric, thanks for sharing it.
seasons best, martin
Old 23-12-10, 06:00 PM

Hi Ric,

Gosh what an amazing story. I remember you writing me at the start of this sarga, so it's amazing to have seen this story unfold. It couldn't have happened to a more deserving bloke. Well done mate a once in a lifetime opportunity for You and an important piece of history saved for all of us.

Chat soon, all the best, Roy.
Old 23-12-10, 06:30 PM

Brilliant discovery and a superb (detective) story with more to be researched!

I guess you have a copy of "Bearded Brigands" the Diaries of Frank Jopling edited by Brendan O'Carroll but for other Forum Members:
D J McInnes is in the list of NZ members of T1 and T2 patrols who served with Frank Jopling at some time between July 1940 and September 1942. There is also a reference in the index to page 23 but there is no mention of D J McInnes on that page?
What may be of interest are the many references to I H McInnes (Ian, a Sergeant Service No 1052) was he any relation to Don?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bearded Brigands001.jpg (102.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 23-12-10, 06:52 PM

Good Morning guys

first off, thanks again for all the feed back guys its great that people like my little story

Peter: thanks for the link to the headstone, I have some photos of the the headstone, but not as clear as that! so thanks for that mate,

grey_green_acorn: Hello mate, thanks for the info Ian McInnes and Don McInnes did serve on the same truck at one time I belive, in fact they nick named them the McInnes brothers, they were not related as far as I can tell, and from talking to the family. but they were very good mates from what I have been told, there still is alot to research on this one, exp regarding his death, so if anyone has any info I would love to hear from them, It would be real nice to give Mrs McInnes closure into the death of her brother.

All of ol Brendan O'Carroll's books are just fantastic here is hoping for another one to come out

and Roy, yes we must get on old Skype and have a catch up

xmas eve fellows I wonder what goodies are under the tree for fellow collectors

regards

-Ric
Old 23-12-10, 07:49 PM

Yes Ric,

We will catch up soon, leaving Colorado the day after Christmas for a couple of months in Arizona, so that might be a grand time to link up.

I've been dropping hints like made for Deborah to buy me the new FN SCAR rifle but I think my hopes will be dashed on Christmas day O well, better continue saving up for it on my own.

all the best Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FN SCAR 17s.jpg (11.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 23-12-10, 11:59 PM
Peter J

Ric,

Just wondering if you have seen THIS? Nothing really to add to what you already have, but may be worth further investigation and may even lead to more info/contacts etc.

All the best,

PJ