British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-10, 03:15 AM

Default ARE THESE INDIAN AND BRITISH INDIAN MADE BADGES GOOD?

Hi all
i bought a collection of badges from the USA that i was told had come out of a small museum that closed many years ago. there were some nice items, nothing fantastic and there was some rubbish.
i would appreciate your thoughts on these badges.
are they indian made period items, or are they just duds?
i dont like cast badges but i have to say that the Hussars and the 5th Lancers are 2 piece and well made
thanks in advance
BC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9024.JPG (76.5 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9025.JPG (75.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 14-11-10, 03:17 PM

Question Indian made badges

The problem with Indian made badges are that they were made in India, this may sound silly, but the question is WHEN . . !

Maybe as replacements for a lost badge or contracted by HM Government, who knows, even if the paperwork turns up, can the badge be linked to it?

My advice is that if it does not turn up without provenance it should be treated as a cast badge.
Old 19-11-10, 03:24 AM

The !st and the 5th badges and the wreathed badeg with all the battle honours are to British units, hence the better quality.

The 4th Battalion, [Wilde's Rifles] 13th Frontier Force Rifles could well be genuine. It dates from after the 1903 re-organization of the I.A. into a smaller number of multi-battalion regiments from well over 100 battalions. Not sure whether it is from 1903-1922 or 1923-47 but it is a the quality that many Indian Army badges display. The 21st Prince Albert Victor's Own Cavalry [Frontier Force] dates from 1903-1922 and is also probably genuine. The 9th Jats badge, on the other hand, I believe to be a fanyasy piece, as I have never seen or heard of any I.A. badge with "Heroes" on it. Very odd indeed!

You can take a look at Arctic Medals site for a look at typical IA badges, both infantry and cavalry - many are from a collection I owned for years and I believe even the sand cast ones to be authentic. [http://www.arcticmedals.com/page/page/3727538.htm]
Old 19-11-10, 08:50 AM

thanks peter
thats fantastic information and i appreciate your help.
from memory there was another thread about the "Heroes" badge.
thanks
bc