British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-04-08, 12:50 AM

Default Gurkha Help Wanted

Hi Guys,

I've been interested in collecting gurkha badges for a while but have never had any solid info to know what I would potentially be buying at fairs and as I know what a minefield infantry badge collecting is I dared not part with any money untill armed with some knowledge.

I was thinking of starting a collection of Grukha Brigades 1939 as shown in Gaylor, can anyone give me any tips or useful information for judging a genuine badge etc, comparative pictures would be great if anyone has any they can show. Even the smallest most basic information will be of use as I'm a complete gurkha collecting virgin and really do know absolutely nothing on the subject apart from what is written in Gaylor.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 08-04-08 at 12:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-04-08, 08:26 PM

Hi Luke, I was begining to get a bit lonely here. I have been collecting Gurkha Badges for over 40 years and will help you if i can.

firstly there are a hell of a lot of fakes out there ( as usual). Dont be put off by the fact a badge is cast. space was at a premium on transports and ammo took precedence. A lot of the regts had badges locally made. Also the Gurkha Regt museum still sells copies of all the badges (supplied by Firmins, marked 'copy' on the rear)

A few good bargins can be had on E bay, but caution is the word as every unit is being faked.
1st GR , copies very shiny silver looking, originals have 'grey' WM look.
2nd GR, Same badge worn until the 90's Should be black painted brass, copies feel a bit light.
3rd GR, Copies Again very shiny as the 1st
4th GR Copies as above
5th small and large being made again very shiny
6th, 90's type had a crown above the crossed khukris, check top, I have seen a couple at fairs where it is obvious the crown has been cut off to increase value.
7th Wartime pattern doesnt turn up that much
8th, The same pattern as the wartime one, is worn today by the 8th Goorkhas in Indian Service.So plenty around but most are modern
9th copies very shiny and light.
10th This is the only unit I have not seen a fake to yet!!!!
15th, Dont touch any, there was no 15th, but there is a story re this badge.
24th Again every one I have seen at a fair is a fake.
26th There appears to be 100 times more badges then personel. The originals were cut out of brass and blackend with gunblack, copies seem to be cast and painted gloss black. My example came off a badge belt from a burma star vetern and took me a few years to convince him to part with it.
Gurkha airborne, avoid the crossed 'K's with parachute above in chrome, never worn. Wartime were embroidered, Also India para reg badge adopted at end of war.
It may take me a few days to figue out how to use the digital camera and post pictures for you.

regards
Steve
Old 09-04-08, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Hi Luke, I was begining to get a bit lonely here. I have been collecting Gurkha Badges for over 40 years and will help you if i can.

regards
Steve
Steve you are offically my new best hobby friend

it may take me a while to take in what you've said here but I'll have a go digesting it and try and put it into practice but I'll certainly ask more questions you'll find me a student hungry for knowlegde, if you can get those pics up it'd be great I'll PM you my email if its easier that way, many thanks

Cheers,

Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 09-04-08 at 04:09 AM.
Old 09-04-08, 03:51 PM

Hi Luke, PM me your e mail address. It may take a couple of days as I have to take the badges out of their frames. I'll also check my spares box.

regards
Steve
Old 29-04-08, 07:53 PM

If Luke will forgive me hijacking his well named thread...

Hi,

I'm not a military badge sort of person, but have an elderly friend who has a large collection of rubbings of Ghurka badges. He used to own the badges, but sold them all a couple of years ago. One badge in particular has always bugged him because he was never able to identify it. I promised I would try to use the marvelous internet to find out. As a result, I find myself in as uncomfortable surroundings as I imagine you lot would be in a lingerie department. Be gentle with me!

The badge in question has an elephant under crossed khukris. From memory, there may have been a number (2?) above the khukris. My friend thinks it may have been a Burma Military Police badge, but I've been unable to find anything like it on the net. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Pebble
Old 30-04-08, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Hi Pebble, we are a bit hard up for Indian/Gurkha badge experts at the moment, but we are still a bit new. I have had a look through "Cox's Military Badges of the British Empire 1914-18" which is quite an extensive work on the subject and there is nothing in that that matches your description, so possibly not WW1 vintage. Sorry I cannot be more helpful than that, but good luck with it anyway.

PS
Some of the WW1 Indian Empire badges that do have an elephant as a significant part of the design:
62nd Punjabis
80th Carnatic Infantry
84th Punjabis (one type is plain - like my avatar)
92nd Punjabis

and the 10th Gurkha Rifles did wear an elephant arm badge, but no crossed kukris - see picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10th_gurkha_arm_badge.JPG (32.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 30-04-08, 02:37 PM

Hi pebble,
I know a bit about the Gurkhas. This does not sound like a badge I am familier with. I have checked my books and the badge as described does not appear.
I have looked at the Burma rifles and other war raised units, Military police units and local units up to 1948.

The only gurkha unit using the elephant in any form was the 10th Gurkha rifles. This was worn as an arm badge (elephant only) from 1990. It was inherited from the 10th Madras Infantry from whom they were descended.

if you can get a photo or scan to put on this site I may be able to help more.

Regards
Steve
Old 30-04-08, 08:05 PM

Hi all,i have some knowledge of more modern Gurkha badges.So if you need help,shout me.Id be pleased to help if i can.
Oh for a Gurkha boys anodised.
Old 30-04-08, 11:02 PM

Thank you so much, guys. I'll try and get a copy of the rubbing my friend's got and post it.
Old 01-05-08, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Hi all,i have some knowledge of more modern Gurkha badges.So if you need help,shout me.Id be pleased to help if i can.
Oh for a Gurkha boys anodised.

Bosleys had a Gurkha Boys in yesterdays postal sale 30/4/08
lot 67
estimate £40-£60. actual achieved prices published today? - of course estimates mean nothing in Bosleys case - often a mere 1000% out
Old 01-05-08, 10:52 AM

Thanks for upsetting me, £33
There was another further down the list,no mention of metal on it though £87.I was severly shocked by some of the other prices though.Mike
Old 01-05-08, 12:09 PM
Administrator

hi Mike, didn't even notice that other one lot 243 - in the catalogue it's described as
"......circa 1953-68. Chromed sheet metal example believed Singapore made"
Old 10-11-10, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebble View Post
If Luke will forgive me hijacking his well named thread...

Hi,

I'm not a military badge sort of person, but have an elderly friend who has a large collection of rubbings of Ghurka badges. He used to own the badges, but sold them all a couple of years ago. One badge in particular has always bugged him because he was never able to identify it. I promised I would try to use the marvelous internet to find out. As a result, I find myself in as uncomfortable surroundings as I imagine you lot would be in a lingerie department. Be gentle with me!

The badge in question has an elephant under crossed khukris. From memory, there may have been a number (2?) above the khukris. My friend thinks it may have been a Burma Military Police badge, but I've been unable to find anything like it on the net. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Pebble
The 10th Gurkha Rifles were created from the 10th Madras Infantry who were originally awarded the 'elephant" and the the 'Rock Fort of Amboor' emblems for their part in the Carnatic Wars. Until subsumed as part of the 2RGR, 10GR wore a w/m arm-badge of the elephant and Rock Fort howdah. I can e-mail a picture of it.
Old 10-11-10, 10:59 AM

"84th Punjabis (one type is plain - like my avatar)""
Mike.. I'd always thought that yours was the Connaught Rangers?