British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-02-11, 09:44 PM

Default opinions wanted on Gurkha badges

Hi Guys,
Heres 3 more badges i would like your valued opinions on authenticity.

1 First badge is a chromed K.C 6th Gurkhas

2 Second badge is a cast Q.C 6th Gurkhas

3. Third badge is an a/a badge to the Queens Own Gurkha Transport Regt. I would be interested if anyone knows anything about this badge i.e If it was ever worn or even if a sealed pattern card or tag exists.
I am aware that this badge is normally found in silver & gilt for the Q.O.G.T.R.
Dunno if the a/a badge was the first badge issued?

Looking forward to any opinions.
Regards
UKbrits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0436.jpg (53.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0438.jpg (51.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0439.jpg (54.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0441.jpg (49.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0450.jpg (61.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0451.jpg (56.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 07-02-11, 07:33 PM

Hi,
The first badge I'm not at all happy with and IMO maybe a fantasy item. It is possible that it may have been a locally employed mess waiter at abbottabad. The crown was not taken into use on head dress until 1960.

Second badge. These turn up from time to time in both WM & Black. Due to the QC it must postdate 1960 and therefore in living memory. No one in the Regt Assoc, knows anything about it and there is no photographic evidence of one being worn, despite there being lots of coverage of the period 1960-94The museum classifies it as 'unknown'

Third badge. AA .is ok and worn from 1965, this was the time when OR's wore AA and officers Sil/Gilt . There is an earlier version to the Gurkha Army Service Corps in both types. The gained the title 'Queens Own' in 1992 this appeared in both Bimetal OR's version and officers Sil/Gilt. When they become the QOGLR only the bimetal version was issued to all ranks.

regards
Steve
Old 07-02-11, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Third badge. AA .is ok and worn from 1965, this was the time when OR's wore AA and officers Sil/Gilt . There is an earlier version to the Gurkha Army Service Corps in both types. The gained the title 'Queens Own' in 1992 this appeared in both Bimetal OR's version and officers Sil/Gilt. When they become the QOGLR only the bimetal version was issued to all ranks.
The third badge is QOGTR so it could not have been worn in 1965 if they did not get the title Queen's Own until 1992!
Old 09-02-11, 08:32 PM

Hi 54 your correct,
Whoops, I missed a bit out. In 1965 they become the GTR and they gained the Q.O in 1992.