British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-11-16, 04:19 AM

Default THE DUKE OF ALBANY'S OWN HIGHLANDERS bullion badge

This one has me completely stumped. Can't seem to find it listed anywhere. Real nice and very well made bullion badge with lots of age. The ribbon that it has been sewn to is silk and has lots of age as well. Ribbon has been sewn to about a 16" circle but there is at least an extra foot for adjustment? The badge is approximately 55mm high x 50mm wide.

Maybe someone has seen a similar one like this worn in the same manner?

All help appreciated.

Thanks

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.6 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by NFLDREGT; 28-11-16 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Add details.
Old 28-11-16, 04:25 AM

Default Picture 2

Picture 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 28-11-16, 04:28 AM

Default Picture 3

Picture 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 28-11-16, 01:44 PM

The DAO 72nd Highlanders were a regiment of the British Army from 178-1881. The badge is not, I think, original to the sash, but something put together for a ceremonial or theatrical occasion. Just my guess but regimental badges don't normally appear on neck sashes, if that's what this is.

I'll leave it to the Highland experts to ID the badge more specifically but it is clearly intended for a full dress uniform.
Old 28-11-16, 04:14 PM

Default DAO BADGE

Thanks Peter. I don't think anyone would wear a unit badge on its side ? Can anyone confirm that this is is the Army Gold Medal/Cross ribbon? I will post ribbon on medal forum otherwise. I think the ribbon/badge have been together in this configuration for a long time. Has anyone seen a similar badge/ribbon set up worn vertically?

Don
Old 04-12-16, 02:19 PM

Default DAO HIGHLANDERS BADGE

Just bumping up hoping the Highland collectors will notice. I have had no luck this week trying to find more about this badge. It came with the King's Own Borderer badge and from the look and feel I would think it is in the same age range. Definitely a real nice patina.

Thanks for the comments.

Don
Old 04-12-16, 10:59 PM

Hi Don,

What I can see is the 'Centre Star of the Order of the Thistle' with the title of the regiment circling, in the centre circle at the top is a crown Cypher and Coronet of HRH the late Duke of Albany (Prince Leopold), on the right is a 'cat-a-mountian', now that is similar to the cap badge of the 4th/5th and the 5th (Sutherland and Caithness Battalions) Seaforth Highlanders, the regiment was first raised in 1756, it then went through some changers, renumbering and disbandment, until in 1823 as a mark of recognition it was directed to assume the title 72nd D of A Own Highlanders and in 1881 amalgamated with the 78th to become the Seaforth Highlanders, the ribbon is that of the Waterloo Medal ribbon. I hope this of some help.
Kind regards
Hiram
Old 05-12-16, 01:47 PM

It sounds as if you've narrowed the time frame down, Hiram, to between 1823 and 1881. Well done.
Old 11-12-16, 03:25 PM

Default DAO HIGHLANDERS BADGE

Thanks guys. Every little bit helps. I think the ribbon is Army Gold Cross ribbon based on the width which is wider than the Waterloo ribbon. This one with the DAO badge is about 46MM which is quite a bit wider than what Waterloo ribbon listed at. Unfortunately I never have had the opportunity to handle either of these medals so I can't say for sure. The ribbon is old and for sure silk as I burnt a thread.

Thanks

Don
Old 11-12-16, 04:24 PM

Hi Don,

I have checked my medal year book for ribbon widths for you to try and pin it down, but there are a number of contenders;

The ribbon: Crimson with dark blue edging, Size: 38mm, the following all meet this description;

1. Army Gold Cross,
2. Maida Gold Medal,
3. Army Gold Medal,
4. Waterloo Medal,
5. Burma Medal,

Medal ribbons with the same colour arrangement but different size ribbon are;

1. Military General Service Medal 1847 ribbon size 31mm
2. Distinguished Service Order (DSO) ribbon 29mm

I have just reread your above reply and noted the width of the ribbon being 46mm, the closes contender is the Indian Title Badge (2nd Class) Medal, the description is; A radiated star topped by an imperial crown with a curved laurel wreath below the crown, medallion surrounded by a collar inscribed with the appropriate title, medallion centre bears the crowned profile of King George V or VI, this medal was introduced in 1911 by KG V on the occasion of the Delhi Dunbar of 1911 and awarded in three classes to civilians and Viceroy's commissioned officers of the Indian Army. The medal ribbon is 45mm width and that is the only combination of colour and size to any medal within the whole commonwealth.

With kind regards
Hiram

Last edited by Borderer; 11-12-16 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-12-16, 02:12 PM

Deuced odd! This makes my more certain that it is theatrical. I can't imagine why else that badge would be on that ribbon. It looks old but we forget, I think, that to most people, especially until recently, this stuff was often regarded as rubbish or at best curiosities. The original regimental colours of the Royal newfoundland Regiment, for example, laid up in 1816, were eventually destroyed by being used in student theatricals at the university in St John's. And my acquaintance with the television and movie industry suggests that most costume and props people I've met would have no qualms at all about creating such monsters out of what you and I would consider important historical artifacts.
Old 12-12-16, 07:06 PM

Default DAO BADGE

You may be right on this Peter but the quality of the badge leads me to believe it was made for something more than theatrical use and the feel/toning is that it was made quite a long while ago. When it was used or why it ended up on the ribbon may stay as a mystery.

Thanks

Don
Old 24-02-19, 05:37 PM

Default DUKE OF ALBANY'S OWN HIGHLANDERS

Hi All

I was looking through some boxes of military stuff and came across this badge again. Still seeking more info on it and hope someone spots this that has come across a similar one.

Thanks

Don