British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-12-20, 05:01 PM

Default 2nd Gurkha Rifles Officer cap badge

I know that the former 2GR's officer's forage cap badge was a small silver POW's badge on a scarlet cord boss; I have a modern officer's cap as such.
Was a different type badge worn earlier, say 1914 to early WWII?
Again, for the dress visor cap.
Thanks.
Old 10-12-20, 10:11 AM

Hi RAS49

The POW feathers in silver on a scarlet boss was worn from the 1920's onwards. There are a number of versions of it, the most commonly seen is the smaller POW feathers ( far right in the photo) which was worn from around 1942 right through to 1994. There are some cruder war made badges made in India ( c 1941-c1946) when supplies from the UK were "impossible to obtain". ( second from the right in the photo) .Prior to that were a number of variants similar to the OR's cap badge but in silver 1920's - 1940's . ( first two on the left) - and finally there is the earliest bronze pattern - which supposedly was worn from the late 1800's to 1920. There is one shown in Ashok Nath's book Sowars and Sepoys - I believe it's a photo of an example in the Gurkha Museum. I've never seen an example of this one outside of the museum - which I find really strange given the relatively long period the badge was supposedly worn. ( Definitely on my "Holy Grail" list) ! All of them were worn on officers side cap and the service dress cap.
Hope that helps - do we have another Gurkha collector on the forum now? Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7693.jpg (61.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 10-12-20, 02:19 PM

My question was prompted by a cap for sale on the internet that appears to be pre-WWII at least.
The badge is just the large POW's version, mounted directly onto the cap. It is either very discolored silver, or just black.
No question the cap itself is authentic, but I am doubtful that the badge is correct.
I do have a number of GR cap badges; 1,2,3,4,5,7,10 so far& two British officer caps, postwar, of the 2 GR & 7GR.
Thanks much.
Old 11-12-20, 09:29 AM

I've now seen the item in question and believe that both the hat and the badge are genuine - but the badge would not have been worn on the service cap with visor - as far as I'm aware officers would always have worn a boss badge with that hat. Tim
Old 13-12-20, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
I've now seen the item in question and believe that both the hat and the badge are genuine - but the badge would not have been worn on the service cap with visor - as far as I'm aware officers would always have worn a boss badge with that hat. Tim
Thanks much. Too bad, as I think it may be a pre-war cap, given the maker & other details.
Old 14-12-20, 02:33 AM

Cap sold for $202.50, too much, IMHO, especially with an incorrect badge.