British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-04-20, 09:11 AM

I think Frank Stevens address was in Crown Imperial as he was sec ,if not I may have it from correspondence with him . as this is many years ago he may no longer live there . No email address as this is pre internet Perhaps it may be worth contacting him -I always found him very helpful
David
Old 30-04-20, 09:59 AM

Postal address appears in bulletins re back copies of "The Formation Sign", I should think Postwarden's on the trail re. this.
Old 30-04-20, 12:10 PM

I for one would be very grateful for information regarding RE insignia pre-WW1, as well as any booklets as per the start of this thread that are for sale.

One interesting thing that I learned from a photograph was that RE 1st class staff did not wear any rank badges on a scarlet undress jacket worn in the 1890s, relying instead on their distinguishing lace.
Old 30-04-20, 02:15 PM

WITHOUT PREJUDICE
I am not legally qualified but my understanding is that small [undefined!] extracts, quotations or illustrations may be copied and distributed for broadly educational or research purposes, and not for profit, the source to be duly acknowledged.

There was a long discussion on the GWF on this subject.

In any case it is extremely unlikely that a publication or copyright owner would take civil action on a trivial infringement.

WITHOUT PREJUDICE
Old 01-05-20, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
I for one would be very grateful for information regarding RE insignia pre-WW1, as well as any booklets as per the start of this thread that are for sale.
Various issues of Crown Imperial are available on eBay and AbeBooks , the problem is knowing which ones have the information/articles you are after.

The ones on eBay show photos of contents page , so maybe worth checking .

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 01-05-20, 11:21 AM

I have now spoken to Frank Stevens who explained that he compiled a book on RE insignia but it was never commercially published although four draft copies were produced, one of which made it to the NAM.

re the Copyright discussion, I can see no problem with reproducing articles as Crown Imperial no longer exists as an organisation but it would be best practice to acknowledge the source and credit the author and not pass if off as your own work.

Now awaiting the incoming flak...

Jon
Old 01-05-20, 11:28 AM

No flak at all (and not my area of interest) but as Jon has the contact with Frank, would it be possible for him to negotiate a release of the last edition of the unpublished book on RE badges for inclusion in a special edition of the the formation sign maybe?

Last edited by Wooffy; 01-05-20 at 11:29 AM. Reason: .
Old 01-05-20, 11:46 AM

I wonder if the 'booklet' contained an acknowledgement to Capt.Daybell and this has caused the confusion ? If it was "compiled" from articles in Crown Imperial that he had produced/sent in then that may explain the misunderstanding.

I think that information included in the articles will have been 'referenced' in other articles/books and the author/source credited , so as long it it is not used for financial gain I don't see it as a problem.

Last edited by mike_vee; 01-05-20 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-05-20, 12:03 PM

I wonder if the Captain P.A Daybell mentioned in the original post once owned this trunk ?

" this trunk belonged to Captain P. A. Daybell whose 1942 dated uniform I also have listed."

N.B both are no longer listed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Named-WW2...p2047675.l2557

Edit : Found the original listing for the uniform.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Named-WW2...p2047675.l2557

Old 16-06-20, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
While mainly covering unit histories, Westlake's book on the Volunteer Engineer units does have a short section on uniforms and badges. Hard but not impossible to find from the usual places.

Westlake, R.A. (1983). Royal Engineers (Volunteers) 1859 - 1908 Sherwood Press. ISBN 0-9508530-0-3.
Old 02-07-20, 10:55 PM

Lightbulb

Chaps,

following a request, i have dug out my copy of the booklet by Captain Daybell. If anyone would like any detail from it, please PM me including your email address and i will send the info you need.

Keep smiling, Dave
Old 17-07-20, 04:31 PM

Default A Little Unrelated .....

im looking to buy a ER VIII Royal Engineers cap Badge but at the bottom in silver just above the Royal Engineers scroll in an added Capital 'M' what does the M signify ?

Thanks
Old 04-09-22, 08:09 PM

Frank Stevens did not publish publicly but a copy of his works are held in the RE Library.
Old 07-09-22, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBiles View Post
im looking to buy a ER VIII Royal Engineers cap Badge but at the bottom in silver just above the Royal Engineers scroll in an added Capital 'M' what does the M signify ?

Thanks
M will stand for Militia
Old 07-09-22, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBiles View Post

Thanks
It will invariably be fake / fantasy as there was no Edward 8th RE Militia badge to my knowledge.