British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-10-17, 11:27 AM

Cool Missing "T's"

I have often wondered where all those missing "T" letters went to after being removed from Territorial titles during the Great War, yesterday I found four of these "deserters" lurking in a bag with a Dutch badge, their story would be interesting if I could only get them to talk

As you can see from the pic, tiny areas of the numeral/letters are still present on the base of the "T".

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010832.jpg (31.2 KB, 79 views)
Old 23-10-17, 07:00 PM

Default T's

In 1940 TA units were ordered to remove the T and numeral from titles so that they became indistinguishable from other battalions of the same regiment.

I have not found any evidence, but I suspect that the removal of a T, but not the numeral dates back to WW1. Whilst TF battalions were all Terriers they became diluted with Reservists, new recruits and wounded men returning to active service. many of these had been Regulars or not Territorials, therefore they resented wearing a title denoting them as such. The simple answer was to remove the 'T' or convert it to a numeral '1'.

Stephen.
Old 23-10-17, 08:47 PM

Default Removed "T"

I understand that the badges without the "T" were worn on greatcoats.

Rob
Old 24-10-17, 09:25 AM

Default T

Rob,

I understood it was the county name, with 'T' but no numeral that was worn on the greatcoat. The Y/County names were for wear overseas I think, but I have yet to get to the bottom of all of this.

Stephen.
Old 25-11-17, 09:35 AM

Hi

I may still have somewhere a shoulder title that is for "T5/flaming grenade/ LF" but with the "arms" of the "T" broken off. It was one of those "badge belts" but also had an unbroken T5/LF title. Told at the time that the Territorial title was disliked by the wearers.

Also quite possible that this was a Gallipoli bring back judging from the other associated items.

Photo if I can locate it!