British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Police

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-09-12, 06:39 AM

Default Palestine Police shoulder title

Currently being advertised on Ebay is a shoulder title with the words 'PALESTINE POLICE' in white on a black background. Can somebody please tell me on what uniform this would have been worn, by whom and at what period.
Many thanks,
JohnG
Old 05-09-12, 11:56 AM

The book "A Job Well Done" (History of the Palestine Police Force 1920-1948) shows these titles being worn on battledress blouses by the "Police Moblile Force" during the 1940's.

Dave.
Old 05-09-12, 12:28 PM

Thanks Dave. My particular interest is with a chap who did his National Service in the Palestine Police 1947/48. I have photo's of him in Blue Patrol and Khaki Drill uniforms (Wrong angles to see any shoulder titles), and perhaps this one does not relate to that period as I think Battle Dress for the Palestine Police might have have been phased out by then.

Kind regards

JohnG
Old 05-09-12, 02:28 PM

John,

The "Police Mobile Force" was formed in 1943 and continued in existance until the end of the mandate in 1948. The "PMF" alone wore a British Army pattern khaki battledress blouse/trousers and khaki beret. The cloth shoulder title was (it appears) worn only on this pattern of uniform. It was not worn on "blues" or on khaki service dress. Hope this is helpful.

Dave.
Old 05-09-12, 02:51 PM

Thanks Dave, that is exactly the information I sought.
Much obliged
johnG
Old 09-09-12, 07:00 AM

DEC 2010 C97.jpg

A very interesting subject.

I have not been able to find anymore information on the medal recipient.
Old 09-09-12, 12:07 PM

Is the ribbon incorrect? It was my belief that Police forces - Imperial and Colonial - received Civil Division awards in the Order of the British Empire. This has a Military Division ribbon.
Old 09-09-12, 12:17 PM

"On 27 May, 1942 the Police became a military force eligible to be deployed on military operations inside Palestine, in Syria and Iraq.

In 1944 the Police Mobile Force (PMF) was created as a fully militarized strike force, which was part of and under the command of the Palestine Police. Established with 800 British servicemen, who had been on active wartime service in Italy, North Africa and Britain, the PMF was organized, trained and equipped along military lines. Members wore 'battle dress' and were trained in a special training depot based in Jenin.

By the time of the 1947 UN Partition Plan the British members of the force alone numbered 4,000.

The British mandate over Palestine was due to expire on 15 May 1948, but Jewish leadership led by future prime minister, David Ben-Gurion, declared independence on 14 May. Members of the Palestine Police Force withdrew with the remainder of the British forces in Palestine. However, the influence of the Palestine Police reached its peak after the force was disbanded on 15 May as around 1,400 policeman obtained postings elsewhere. In particular, a special constabulary of 500 former Palestine Police was established in Malaya after the state of emergency was declared in June 1948. Officers who served in Malaya also transferred to Kenya, Hong Kong and Tanganyika."
Old 09-09-12, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrigade View Post
Attachment 69081

A very interesting subject.

I have not been able to find anymore information on the medal recipient.
"District Commissioner" was not a rank or title used by the Palestine Police. So, what exactly is the Palestine Police connection?

Dave.
Old 09-09-12, 01:02 PM

As the Palestine Police were a 'military force' then did they at some time become eligible for the General Service Medal, perhaps with 'Palestine' clasp.

JohnG
Old 09-09-12, 03:45 PM

I would not like to get dogmatic but I don't think this has anything to do with the Palestine Police. A Kawass was an old Ottoman title for a civilian guard employed to keep a home safe. And as has been said the PP didn't have District Commissioners. Thus I would suggest that this chap was a civil guard employed by someone in the Colonial Service in Jerusalem?

It's still a very nice medal which I for one would be very glad to have in my collection.

Eddie
Old 09-09-12, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
As the Palestine Police were a 'military force' then did they at some time become eligible for the General Service Medal, perhaps with 'Palestine' clasp.

JohnG
John,

Yes, you are right. The GSM was awarded to eligable members of the PP as outlined by you subject to the conditions contained within the Royal Warrant for the GSM as amended.

Dave.
Old 09-09-12, 06:30 PM

Thanks Dave, another little gem for me to look into regarding a deceased member of the PP I am researching.
Regards,
John