British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-03-08, 12:37 PM

Default Sherwood Foresters

Anyone have a pic of a WW1 version of this . I think this one is probably later .

Old 16-03-08, 01:53 PM

this is my badge (from my grand father, i hope is genuine WW1....now i was afraid when i put a picture that sombody tell me it's a fake....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C1554-K652-G12.JPG (21.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg C1554-K652-G12-.JPG (19.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg C1554-K652-G12--.JPG (16.9 KB, 74 views)
Old 16-03-08, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanpit-frenchy View Post
this is my badge (from my grand father, i hope is genuine WW1....now i was afraid when i put a picture that sombody tell me it's a fake....
Jeanpit,

It looks a little fresh on the back of the scroll but looking at the raised edges of the scroll they appear darker and have a more ww1 period tone, I believe that its probably plating on the scroll.

A lot of early badges were covered in a plating which makes the badges appear much brighter, this was normally polished off due to the sergents bull but if you had a lax NCO you could probably get away with it especially on the back which I think is the case here.

I wouldn't doubt it.

Luke
Old 16-03-08, 02:46 PM

Spencer,

You're quite right it is in all probability a second war badge but a good one I think, I have a Notts & Derby I believe is circa WW1 (or at least pretty early any road), shall try and get a picture to you.

Luke
Old 16-03-08, 08:06 PM

Now this is slightly confusing as I would say the badge I'm showing has a tapering slider . May be it is not so prominent in the picture but is when I am looking at it . If so wouldn't that make it WW1 ?
Old 16-03-08, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Either or neither could be WW1 or WW2. The slider differences are imposible to date for certain. Longer sliders are indicative of an older badge but there are always exceptions from where makers kept the old style sliders for WW2 badges. If I were you I would be happy with the one you have.

Alan
Old 28-06-08, 02:36 PM

Question Sherwood Foresters - need help

Hi guys,

Wonder if you can help? I have a photograph of my grandfather, Fred Booth, taken just before WW2 wearing the dress or parade uniform of the Sherwood Foresters. I can clearly see the cap badge so I am sure of the regiment, but he has a pair of collar badges which look a bit like exploding grenades - would that be right? He has one chevron strip on his right arm - would that mean he was a corporal?

Also, I have no idea what his regimental number was - would the regimental museum be able to help?

These must sound like the questions of a complete novice, but I've got to start somewhere! Thanks in advance

Mike Booth
Old 28-06-08, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBooth View Post
Hi guys,

Wonder if you can help? I have a photograph of my grandfather, Fred Booth, taken just before WW2 wearing the dress or parade uniform of the Sherwood Foresters. I can clearly see the cap badge so I am sure of the regiment, but he has a pair of collar badges which look a bit like exploding grenades - would that be right? He has one chevron strip on his right arm - would that mean he was a corporal?

Also, I have no idea what his regimental number was - would the regimental museum be able to help?

These must sound like the questions of a complete novice, but I've got to start somewhere! Thanks in advance

Mike Booth
Hi Mike,

I'm probably not the person to answer this as I don't collect collar badges nor am a uniform expert but I'll have a bash and I'm sure someone will correct me if mistaken.

Collars for the Sherwood Forresters in WW1 were I believe brass and the maltese cross with the stag inside surmounted by a KC i.e. the same as the cap badge barring the title scroll.

As for the stripe - its position on the arm and direction is important, if mid arm facing downwards then it's a lance corporal's stripe, if more towards the cuff and facing upwards then its a good conduct stripe.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 28-06-08, 04:33 PM

Thanks Luke - have checked and the chevron stripe is above his elbow and pointing down so I guess he was a lance corporal.

Have had another look at the collar badges but they are not very clear - still looks a bit like a grenade and not the maltese cross ...

I think when the war started grandad was put into an anti-aircraft searchlight unit, which I think would make him one of the Robin Hoods battalion of the SFs...

Thanks anyway

Mike