British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-05-19, 09:06 PM

Default AAC bullion cap badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc
I would like to see the one in bullion, I've never seen that one apart from the modern day AAC examples.

See for instance: Claude Smith: 'History of the Glider Pilot Regiment' between pp. 110-111; photo #20 or (same photo, but less clear) Alan Wood 'The Glider Soldiers' between pp. 186-187 S/Sgt. Tommy Moore MM.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Just trawling through some old posts on the AAC cap badge and this one from 2009 caught my eye.

I was in contact with Tommy Moore, MM, in the late-1980s, as he served with my grandfather in the GPR. He was kind enough to send me a Bakelite AAC cap badge and an 'Airborne' strip, as well as this photo of his old beret, complete with bullion cap badge.

Tommy went on to explain that the badge was made by Hobson & Sons (London) Ltd of Camberley & London. He acquired it from an officer when in Algeria and subsequently used it as a 'dress' item. He never wore it on parade, only off duty and on special occasions - including the award of his MM at Buckingham Palace!

His badge is of silver thread on a maroon background (not red).

Certainly a beautiful badge! I cannot help wondering what became of it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAC cap badge, bullion, photo from Tommy Moore MM.jpg (37.2 KB, 57 views)