British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-10-12, 10:42 AM

Default Irwin "Jump-Badges"

Hi all! can I ask about Irwin (G-Q) badge for completeing a jump course did these also have another type by a maker named Pioneer? single chute with little man dangling beneath one in silver / White metal and another similar but with Red-White Enamalling to the chute? may have an oportunity to buy these but need to know something about them and also an honest price so I don,t rip myself off or rip off the bloke who owns them! thanks billy
Old 27-10-12, 07:33 PM

I think you mean IRVIN not IRWIN

Is not the 'little man' with parachute the Polish Brigade Collar badge?

Not really my area...

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 27-10-12, 08:05 PM
Banned

Yes there was a Pioneer Parachute Company, its American. There was a badge recently on eBay that went for about $22, but I'm not sure if it was genuine. A web search should find it.
Old 27-10-12, 10:13 PM

Yes sorry! Irvin as you say, yes thought I had seen Polish collars similar again not in any way knowlegable on these but have bought them now and when these turn up I will post on this site! thanks for your help and will get back when these arrive with a makers mark (only seen photo of one!) they ought to be the real deal! cheers billy
Old 03-11-12, 04:47 PM

Default Irwi & 2 others

Here at last are the badges IRWIN and the two which I think are American? arrived today cheers billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010761.jpg (67.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg P1010762.jpg (70.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P1010763.jpg (44.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg P1010764.jpg (40.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 26-04-13, 08:15 PM

Hi Billy,

What you have there is the GQ badge produced by the parachute manufacturer of the same name. Not sure how old it'll be but iirc the British Armys current LLP (Low Level Parachute) is made by them - fairly current though.
The Irvin badge is a white parachute, blue showing through the rigging lines on top of gold wings. Leslie Irvin pioneered the parachutes that were, from the earliest origins, adopted by the British and was still producing the PX4 which I did my BPC (Basic Para Course) with in 1994.
I have one on my bike jacket which I bought from Aviation Leathercraft in the 90's. They're still produced and I saw a RAF PJI give some out as gifts to some French Officer Cadets circa 2000.
Rare ones to look for are Caterpillar Club (awarded to anyone using an Irvin Airchute to escape stricken aircraft) and I believe there's also a Goldfish Club but not sure if they have a badge or whether it's just for survivors of bailouts over the sea.
Regards, Paddy