British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-04-12, 04:14 PM

Default Army Air Corps Badge

Shame about the polished area of this badge. John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg auction badges 007.jpg (95.3 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg auction badges 008.jpg (97.1 KB, 188 views)
Old 19-04-12, 06:04 PM

Not so much, its a copy.

Rgds,
Thomas.
Old 20-04-12, 07:55 PM

I have to agree with Thomas, a common replica.
Old 22-04-12, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Not so much, its a copy.

Rgds,
Thomas.
Thank you for your reply, but it would have been much more helpfull if you had pointed out why you thought it was a copy, John.
Old 22-04-12, 12:58 PM

apparently it is something to do with the fact that the topmost central laurel leaf on the left hand side of the wreath protrudes slightly into the wing feathers of the eagle. that is if you subscribe to the theory. a lot of copies of this pattern exist but the example could have been copied from an original version. variations do exist of badges. however, you are on a hiding to nothing with concensus of opinion !
Old 22-04-12, 01:07 PM

errata : substitute " over " for " into " in the comment " protrudes slightly into the wing feathers "
confused, you will be !
Old 22-04-12, 01:23 PM

Default AAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwash View Post
errata : substitute " over " for " into " in the comment " protrudes slightly into the wing feathers "
confused, you will be !
Where did that load of b******s come from, John.
Old 22-04-12, 01:43 PM

This pattern where the eagle has a short and rounded is far too common to be original. I have just counted 9 examples on ebay alone. Secondly, this exact pattern is sold as a replica. Lastly, it has never been excavated on the battlefields where it was worn.
Old 22-04-12, 06:12 PM

Default AAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
This pattern where the eagle has a short and rounded is far too common to be original. I have just counted 9 examples on ebay alone. Secondly, this exact pattern is sold as a replica. Lastly, it has never been excavated on the battlefields where it was worn.
Has a short and rounded what?. John.
Old 22-04-12, 07:20 PM

Short and rounded beak.
Old 27-04-12, 05:18 AM
MG4684

Blimey Charlie!, there's no need to take out your anger at getting stung on a couple of guys that are just trying to help - both are experienced GPR collectors

Here's a third vote in favour of the badge being a dud - someone has taken some wet and dry paper to the high points to give the badge that "well-polished" look and probably stuck it in their garden for six months.

In YOUR defence, this one is more usually seen with a slider but I'm noticing more and more appearing with lugs these days - no doubt, sales of the former have slumped as they no longer fool anyone so adding lugs is a shrewd way of hooking-in the unwary.
Old 27-04-12, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG4684 View Post
Blimey Charlie!, there's no need to take out your anger at getting stung on a couple of guys that are just trying to help - both are experienced GPR collectors

Here's a third vote in favour of the badge being a dud - someone has taken some wet and dry paper to the high points to give the badge that "well-polished" look and probably stuck it in their garden for six months.

In YOUR defence, this one is more usually seen with a slider but I'm noticing more and more appearing with lugs these days - no doubt, sales of the former have slumped as they no longer fool anyone so adding lugs is a shrewd way of hooking-in the unwary.
Before you start commenting on my remarks on this thread you should know the facts. At the time of posting the picture of the badge it was still in a lot in a local auction room and therefor I wasnot "stung" by buying it. In fact I went to the auction today and bought the lot with the AAC badge and was approached by a man who introduced himself and asked if I was a dealer, answer no, are you on the British badge forum, yes, he apparently has a large collection of Wostershire badges and an album on here. He also had a good look at the AAC badge and said that he was in no doubt that it was a good one, he unlike some experts on here was able to handle the badge. I f you must know the badges in the lot that I was interested in were a conjoined pair of 44 Commando, so in future before you take me to task, get your facts right, John.
Old 27-04-12, 01:39 PM
Former Member

John,
no point trying to bury any heads in the sand, if there is one "FACT" here, it is that the badge you show at the start of the thread is certainly a copy and not original to the period.. I've highlighted the errant Leaf which cuts into the wing feather!

There are some other features, such as the thin talons, poppy eye and flat body (abdomen area) which cannot be easily seen from the images, but on a genuine badge it is convex or bows outwards and not flat..

The badge top center is a fake the other three all genuine variations. I think the gentleman you bumped into should stick to Worcestershire badges, just in case!

Best regards

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1001 (3).jpg (93.0 KB, 168 views)
Old 27-04-12, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
John,
no point trying to bury any heads in the sand, if there is one "FACT" here, it is that the badge you show at the start of the thread is certainly a copy and not original to the period.. I've highlighted the errant Leaf which cuts into the wing feather!

There are some other features, such as the thin talons, poppy eye and flat body (abdomen area) which cannot be easily seen from the images, but on a genuine badge it is convex or bows outwards and not flat..

The badge top center is a fake the other three all genuine variations. I think the gentleman you bumped into should stick to Worcestershire badges, just in case!

Best regards

Andy
As the gentleman I spoke to is from Wales you may know him. My above responce was to someone who did not know the facts relating to the time of posting and when the auction was held but felt he could comment on my being upset at having bought a wrongone when in fact the local auction had not taken place. John.
Old 27-04-12, 06:01 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder44 View Post
As the gentleman I spoke to is from Wales you may know him. My above responce was to someone who did not know the facts relating to the time of posting and when the auction was held but felt he could comment on my being upset at having bought a wrongone when in fact the local auction had not taken place. John.
John,
I don't think I know the Worcs collector, but I hope now that you can see that the badge is wonky?

Best regards and enjoy the rest of your badges!

Andy