British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-07-20, 09:38 PM

Default A Real Bargain ... Don't Hesitate!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is a UTP badge that I bought, and maybe even the very first Home Guard piece if bought, when I decided to collect Home Guard. I saw it on Ebay and asked the seller if it was a genuine vintage badge - to which he told me it was. So I bought it and was happy as a lark, as I was not able to see his wink online !

However, my first book on the Home Guard arrived and my new beauty did not seem to match the one pictured!

Here are some pictures of this gem.

Taken with flash so you can get a better idea of the color of the metal, and with a brass badge next to it for comparison.

Here it is without the flash.

Please try not to groan too loudly, because I have learned since. In fact I have recently added a real, genuine UTP badge to the collection, thanks to this forum. But you have to admit a white metal one with all the trade marks of a fake is pretty rare!

OK, all said and done, and in a show of "real, genuine" kindness to others, the first offer of $10,000 USD gets it. Please don't all rush at once!

Terry
Old 07-07-20, 10:48 PM

Terry,
i`ll take it. Cash ok? Give me a couple of days to print the notes off and let them dry!!!
No one starts off as being an expert. As in life, you gain knowledge through experience and listening to people you trust. Part of the learning curve i`m afraid. Suggest you keep the badge but frame it and put it on the wall. A reminder that we are all human!
Old 08-07-20, 01:53 AM

Thanks Deejayuu,

Appreciate the encouraging words! Yes, I do plan to keep it as I keep all fakes I fall for just for reference if nothing else, and I would not feel right trying to sell them to anyone else. Plus, in reality it is a variation....just not a vintage one!

Terry

PS - Small bills, non-sequential serial numbers please.
Old 08-07-20, 10:41 AM

Terry

As Deejayuu says - we all start from somewhere and continue to gain more knowledge as time moves on (indeed every day is a school day as they say). One of things I have started to do is to record Fakes and Reproductions in an Album here. It is small (thankfully) but growing, in the hope that it helps members avoid mistakes and offers some form of payback for the knowledge and support I have had from the forum and those who frequent it.

The best thing you can do is keep asking advice and seeking opinions - as well as reading and researching yourself.

Hopefully the 'high's' outweigh the 'lows' and I suspect that everyone has bought /owned duds over the years, so you are most certainly not alone.

Best Wishes

Dave
Old 08-07-20, 02:31 PM

As always, whenever I come across a scarce badge that I am not familiar with, I just search it on this forum. It has saved me countless times from bad purchases

CB
Old 08-07-20, 02:45 PM

Thank you gentlemen,

Yes, I have been a collector for probably 30+ years, and every time I've gotten into a new arena, I end up with a few bogus pieces - probably due to my enthusiasm, but also I am sure due to the learning curve. In fact, my very first purchase from my very first show was a fake, but at the time I was just happy. I later replaced it with a real one, but still have that badge.

On a more serious note, looks like this "genuine, vintage" badge is going to be yours Deejayuu, as nobody else has stepped froward. You are the lucky one and be sure to show it and boast about it to all your collector friends!!!

Stay safe and stay well everyone!

Terry