British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-01-15, 08:27 PM

Default HOME GUARD OFFICERS

Can anyone point me to a source that explains how Home Guard Officers were appointed. Originally there were no officers as such just appointments then eventually normal Army Ranks came into being.

Did County Territorial Army Associations appoint HG Officers?
Old 12-01-15, 09:48 PM

As far as I know:

When the Home Guard was first formed it had its' own rank structure. As a unit of 'volunteers' it was felt that there should be a system of 'appointed' ranks and 'officers' did not [at first] hold Kings' Commissions, but 'appointment's'

The appointment/ranks were as follows:

Home Guard Appointment / Equivalent and later Army Rank

Zone Commander / Brigadier or Colonel
Group Commander / Colonel
Battalion Commander / Lieutenant Colonel
Company Commander / Major
Platoon Commander / Captain or Lieutenant
Section Commander / 2nd Lieutenant or Sergeant [there were no Warrant Officers or Staff Sargeants]
Squad Commander / Corporal or Lance-Corporal
Volunteers / Volunteer (later Private)

The Home Guard came under control of the Army Districts mainly affiliated to the County Regiment not the Territorial Association, and as far as I am aware Officers & NCO's were appointed/commissioned by the Army after attending training courses with Army instructor's.

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 13-01-15 at 08:00 PM. Reason: minor amendments
Old 13-01-15, 01:48 AM

Default HG officers

In May 1940 when the LDV were formed I believe it was the County Lord Lieutenant who initially appointed officers. As a result they were mainly 'notables' from the area who already had some respect, social standing, and usually a military background.

The War Office became the statutory authority under the Defence (Local defence Volunteers) Regs 1940. This resulted in ACI 924 of 1940 being published. To save typing I've attached copies of the relevant paragraphs. (Photos taken by me at National Archives, Kew- WO293/25).

I hope reading them will make it clear about how officers were appointed.
The Local TA Associations played a significant part in administering the Home Guard once it was formed.

Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5497.jpg (53.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5498.jpg (58.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 13-01-15, 03:05 PM

Default HG OFFICERS

badjez and Mike_2817

Thank you both for your replies - very helpful

I have read that at some point in time the HG moved from Volunteer appointments to Army Ranks and conscription. Can you tell me did HG & TA Officers have to pass through OCTU's from then on?
Old 13-01-15, 04:02 PM

I'm researching this for you and although I can't confirm the training arrangements yet I can validate with proof the fact that Home Guard officers were commissioned by the King from 6th November 1940 (link to Hansard) and appointments were Gazetted.

I'll continue looking until I have either found the information you want or until it becomes obvious it isn't within my reach.
Old 13-01-15, 05:07 PM

The answer is: Home Guard officers were reviewed by Selection Boards. The information is contained within this Hansard Record. It's quite long so I recommend you use the "find" facility on your browser with the term "Selection" as the keyword.

To save you the trouble you might be interested in this excerpt from a statement made by Lt Col Sir Edward Grigg who was Under Secretary for War at the time. (Minister of War in 1945).

Index no: 1891 (indexes are in blue on the right hand side at the start of each item).

Here are the principles on which the selection boards are to make their choice. Firstly, the sole criterion is to be fitness for command in the conditions of service laid down for the Home Guard. Secondly, an essential element in such fitness is the ability to command the confidence of all ranks under the special circumstances and conditions of the locality concerned. Thirdly, neither political, business, nor social affiliations are to be regarded as conducing in themselves to fitness for command. In the fourth place, previous military service, while it may be of great account, is not to be regarded as an indispensable qualification for commissioned rank. I hope the House will approve these principles.

Last edited by Hussar100; 13-01-15 at 08:16 PM.
Old 13-01-15, 07:53 PM

All good info

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 13-01-15, 10:08 PM

Hussar100 - thank you. your Hansard link is proving a great help
Old 14-01-15, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
Hussar100 - thank you. your Hansard link is proving a great help
Thank you. I'm sure you've discovered as I did, that that one record leads off into other territory regarding the Home Guard and provides a fabulous mine of information.