British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-09-12, 02:51 AM

Default GGHG cap badge

A few weeks ago I picked up a King's crown GGHG cap badge that seemed of better quality than the ones I generally see and have previously owned (keeping in mind I don't pay much attention to GGHG badges).

I'll post a side by side comparison with a badge I have in a display of CAC badges. New one on the left, old one on the right. You'll see it is a completely different die.

It is a lovely badge, crisply stamped with wonderful detail, BUT it kinda bothers me. The badge is very clean, exhibits no wear or even scratches/scuffs to the lug openings, it seems very unissued. It also seems a little too crisp as in the back of the badge has sharp edges. It's like the badge was just made... It's also quite lightweight, but not flimsy, just light. Perhaps I am just paranoid from the summer heat.

Anyway, anyone familiar with this "variety"??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03_GGHGcompare.jpg (70.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0342x750.jpg (92.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0340x750.jpg (96.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-09-12, 11:31 AM

Nice badge. Like you, I didn't pay too much attention to my GGHG badge either. Mine seems to land some where between your two. It has nice detail like your badge but is shinier. I wonder if the difference is a matter of the lowest bidder getting the contract and the quality being reflected in the lack of detail in the badge.
Old 03-09-12, 11:46 AM

In my opinion, in the first pic, the one on the right is a modern copy.

Cheers
Jim
Old 03-09-12, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Morning. I think the badge Bill posted is an early striking. The GGHG were not formed until1936. The quality of the badges made in the late 30's / early wartime seem to be better than later strikings. The GGHG were created by an amalgamation of the Mississauga Horse and the Governor General's Body Guard in December 1936. New badges were required, which very neatly included elements of the designs of both previous units. Even though the design was approved in 1937, the badges still had to be struck and delivered. Not sure, but the pattern of delivery was sketchy in the pre war period due to finances and the lingering economic depression.
Bill, are the lugs on the better striking a bit longer than normal?
Old 03-09-12, 03:54 PM

Default lugs

Hi Bill, the lugs appear to be of typical length. Approx. 10mm.

Maybe it is an early striking? After I posted last night, it occurred to me that this badge was similar in finish and feel to the typical KC RCAC badges (a more dull/greyish white metal). Perhaps it is or more contemporary to the 1950's?? ...just odd that I hadn't ever noticed one of this type before now.

Jim D., there is another thread here about a "modern" (circa 1979) chromed KC GGHG badge. My badge doesn't match that pattern either. Sadly the detail on a typical GGHG badge looks "mushy" and indistinct like the one I posted on the right. That's actually what drew me to purchase this new badge, I could read the lettering on it!

Shame on me for thinking evil of it.

Tags
gghg, reproduction, variety