British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-03-19, 12:06 AM

In serious response to the OP, could the stain be a pigment in the mother of pearl, rather than a substance on it?
Old 16-03-19, 12:25 AM

Phil is right. I had a couple with natural blemishes within the MOP. So they definitely used/sold them even if they were perhaps less than perfect in most people’s eyes.

Again being serious. If you run the edge of your fingernail over it what does it feel like? I think the blemishes on mine felt either like the ‘clean’ MOP (perhaps the imperfection wasn’t quite on the surface) or slightly chalky/sandlike. But if it’s a stain your nail may start taking it off.
Old 16-03-19, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Eventually, someone who gets it. Thanks Phil
Don't worry, I got it as well

I'll have a check and see if this could be an imperfection rather than dirt on it, thanks.
Old 16-03-19, 10:01 AM

It looks like rust to me and yes, I know that mother of Pearl doesn't rust, but it has possibly been stored with something rusty which has contaminated it.
Old 16-03-19, 06:23 PM

I thought rust as well, the pin is quite rusty so it would make sense.

This is the result of cleaning with hot soapy water and a cotton bud, then a tooth brush then a wooden skewer. I don't think it's made the slightest difference.

I've also noticed (once I put my glasses on to clean it) that someone before me has cleaned it, possibly using a dremel, and that the scroll above the word police has lost a lot of it's shine. The photos don't really show that damage and to be fair if I hadn't had a bright light on it I probably wouldn't have seen it, but as I don't want to make things worse it looks like it's staying as it is.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190316_181254.jpg (34.6 KB, 15 views)