British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-06-16, 09:35 AM

Default a BELT and some insignia

Many years ago I was fortunate enough to buy a large and very old collection of Boer War interest ... so large it was really a small museum. This rather nice Boer belt was amongst it , but also in a frame were the 3 items of insignia, displayed as I show in the picture . The frame was extremely woodwormy and the backing cloth on which the badges were mounted was shredded by moths, so I took out the insignia and disposed of the frame. What I have always wondered is what do the 3 badges represent and were they in fact worn together ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (28.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (34.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (33.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 03-06-16, 10:57 AM

The large SA as far as I am aware stands for Staats Artillery of the ZAR. This was worn above crossed cannons.

The crossed cannons you have appear to be Dutch (with the W cypher) with an applied cannon. This may by Dutch naval artillery?

Not sure about the II badge.

The items may have simply be put into the frame 100 odd years ago and may not be related to each other.

Steven
Old 03-06-16, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
The large SA as far as I am aware stands for Staats Artillery of the ZAR. This was worn above crossed cannons.

The crossed cannons you have appear to be Dutch (with the W cypher) with an applied cannon. This may by Dutch naval artillery?

Not sure about the II badge.

The items may have simply be put into the frame 100 odd years ago and may not be related to each other.

Steven
Interesting , thanks a lot .
Old 04-06-16, 01:36 AM

The crossed cannons badge appears to me to have an anchor not a W. Is this correct? If it is either an anchor or a W it is probably not ZAR or OVS. Never seen the SA badge but Staats Arty sounds right.
The ZAR silver buckle was featured on this site a few months ago and is a type I have been seeking for years. I have shown a picture of a ZARP wearing it but may have been worn by the arty as well.
Have shown a couple of other buckles from my picture file. I only have the ZAR buckle shown on the belt, never seen the wider brass one. Any ideas what it is? I also found the picture of the round ZAR badge and would also like to know what it is.
Until yesterday I never knew that the OVS brass buckle existed and have added it to my want list. Question: does a locket type OVS buckle (like the ZAR one illustrated) exist? It seems quite likely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boerbuckle.jpg (95.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg boerbuckle2.JPG (54.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg ZAR badge32mm.jpg (77.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg ZARP1A.jpg (62.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-06-16, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
The crossed cannons badge appears to me to have an anchor not a W. Is this correct? If it is either an anchor or a W it is probably not ZAR or OVS. Never seen the SA badge but Staats Arty sounds right.
Hi Kinsley, the 'W' monogram I refer to is on the gun barrels within a wreath and topped with a crown. I believe this represents the Dutch monarchy. And yes there is an anchor positioned between the two cannon.

Steven
Old 04-06-16, 11:46 AM

Default naval arty?

Hmm... I think if it was ZAR naval artillery it was probably quite a small outfit.

Though I do have OVS Navy bits and pieces I thought might sell well on ebay, along with my ZAR Airforce items...
Old 04-06-16, 04:11 PM

If Dutch, the 'W' would refer to Queen Wilhelmina, who reigned from 1890 to 1948.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 04-06-16, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD View Post
Hmm... I think if it was ZAR naval artillery it was probably quite a small outfit.

Though I do have OVS Navy bits and pieces I thought might sell well on ebay, along with my ZAR Airforce items...
Talking of which I once was offered a Parachute Regiment cap badge which had had the King's crown replaced with a QVC !
Old 15-02-22, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
The ZAR silver buckle was featured on this site a few months ago and is a type I have been seeking for years. I have shown a picture of a ZARP wearing it but may have been worn by the arty as well.
Have shown a couple of other buckles from my picture file. I only have the ZAR buckle shown on the belt, never seen the wider brass one. Any ideas what it is? I also found the picture of the round ZAR badge and would also like to know what it is.
Until yesterday I never knew that the OVS brass buckle existed and have added it to my want list. Question: does a locket type OVS buckle (like the ZAR one illustrated) exist? It seems quite likely.

The SAZAR had 5 cap badges ZAR. ZAR dick, SA, Lionhead, Guns and bomb and just That I add picks of badge and OVS belt buckle