British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-02-09, 04:02 PM

Default US General Petraeus,too much bling???

While browsing the internet,I happened to find this photograph of Gen Petraeus.
I am ,always amazed at the amount of medals and awards worn by American officers since the end of the 2nd WW compared to Commonwealth officers.
Jo
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multime...US_206954a.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Petraeus
(Click on his photo to enlarge)

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 15-02-09, 05:11 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

A very decorated soldier & no doubt a very able one,These fellows have seen a lot more action than our guys since WW 2, They do lean to decorations more than we do but their country give them more recognition than ours. Remember what they did to Admiral Murray at the close of WW2. General McNaughton (earlier) as well. Ray
Old 15-02-09, 08:28 PM

I am reminded of 2 of my favorite stories concerning American decorations. The first concerns an American battalion commander during the Viet Nam War who directed his helicopter to land in the middle of a fire fight to evacuate wounded. He was later awarded the Silver Star. The ground commander received a Purple Heart and a medevac home. The people doing the fighting and dying received nothing except a PH if wounded. Everything else, besides a Purple Heart for a wound, is someone's opinion. The second story is about Major General Patrick Hurley, President Roosevelt's personal representative to China during 1944. He arrived to meet the communist leaders in Sept of that year wearing an immaculate uniform with ribbons from shoulder to chest. The senior American officer there to meet him commented, "General, it looks as if you have a medal there for every campaign except Shays' Rebellion." The general, a political appointment, did not see the humor. Gen Petraeus I am sure deserves the ribbons he wears. But I think the point is well made.

Don
Old 16-02-09, 12:50 AM

Hi Don, just to show some of our better known generals.
Jo
Gen.Hiilier:http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vo9/.../Tymchuk-1.jpg

Gen.Romeo Dallaire:http://www.ualberta.ca/~publicas/folio/39/14/img/08.jpg

Gen. Lewis MacKenzie:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2203/...a2bd20.jpg?v=0

Gen. J.de Chastelain:http://www.usge-sesg-local70006justi...ages/chast.JPG

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 16-02-09, 12:57 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Jo that was a bad time for Gen D'allaire & his picture shows it. You talk about lack of support.

Last edited by boots and saddles; 16-02-09 at 04:09 PM.
Old 16-02-09, 01:43 AM

Default MacKenzie KC?

Hi,
I unfortunately know next to nothing about Canadian badges, nor about Canadian Generals, but it seems that in the (recent?) photo of Gen. Lewis MacKenzie he is wearing a KC badge.
Anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks,
fougasse1940.
Old 16-02-09, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Hi,
I unfortunately know next to nothing about Canadian badges, nor about Canadian Generals, but it seems that in the (recent?) photo of Gen. Lewis MacKenzie he is wearing a KC badge.
Anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks,
fougasse1940.
Some retired guys seem to do whatever they want. I ran into an RCR veteran at a parade last fall who had a guelphic crown (i.e., pre-1927) badge on his beret.
Old 16-02-09, 09:33 AM

Retired soldiers tend to wear the badge that they wore when in service. I have an old ,ex REME, pal who on remembrance parades always wears a 1st pattern REME plastic because that was his badge, and quite rightly so I think.
Old 16-02-09, 12:46 PM

Hi Gentlemen, well I'm surprised, to say the least, at the reactions to my postings. I wanted to show the difference between two neighbouring countries concerning medals and awards.
Except for Gen. Hillier and MacKenzie, both had their fair share of chances to see some actions, Gens. Dallaire and de Chastelain (BTW, a former Chief of Defence Staff) compared to Gen, Petraeus, Hillier and MacKenzie look like they spent their time in DND HQ in Ottawa even though Dallaire had one heck of a rough ride in Rwanda.
Remember,Gen. MacKenzie was at Sarajevo (1992) when nobody, and I mean, nobody wanted to be there at the start of the civil war. Gen.de Chastelain was the one who brought some peace in Ireland, after how many years of "troubles". Gen.Hillier,was the one Canadian deemed worthy to be Deputy Commander of III US Armoured Corps (in 1998),and finishing his career as Chief of Defence Staff.
To answer fougasse1940's question,Gen MacKenzie started his military career in the early 60's with ,the then regular army unit, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada and, who is going to tell him that he is not supposed to wear HIS badge.
Regards to all.
Jo

Last edited by Voltigeur; 16-02-09 at 02:55 PM.
Old 16-02-09, 12:54 PM

The crown on the badge may not always tell the real story. Through my 20 years in the Royal Artillery I wore my father's badges and buttons (and sword). Thus mostly Kings crowns although he had in turn inherited his jacket from his father so my RHA ball buttons were Victorian crown so polished nobody could tell what they were. My nephew, currently serving, is wearing them all now. Nobody has ever suggested any of us take them down.

E
Old 16-02-09, 05:41 PM

........And we give opinions about whether some items might have been worn at a certain time or whether some items are genuine or not.

After a reasonably long time collecting militaria the only advice I can give is never accept the first explanation you are given and never let items go until you are 200% they are not right

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 18-02-09, 11:56 AM

To answer fougasse1940's question,Gen MacKenzie started his military career in the early 60's with ,the then regular army unit, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada and, who is going to tell him that he is not supposed to wear HIS badge.
Regards to all.
Jo[/QUOTE]

Hi Jo,
If he started his career in the 60's, shouldn't he have worn a QC from the start? Also, using the search engine here on the forum for Queen's Own Rifles of Canada badges I can't seem find anything looking like the badge he's wearing, so what is his badge in the photo? And why is he wearing it? Father's badge? Relatives? I'm quite aware there are no rules concerning the unofficial wear of badges, but surely he is not wearing just any badge?

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 18-02-09, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Gen. MacKenzie's badging is curious. He is wearing what appears to be an officer's pattern kc PPCLI cap badge. Certainly doesn't fit with his first unit, or with the time period.
Old 18-02-09, 01:11 PM

Hello fougasse. About the cap badge,Gen MacKenzie served his early military career from 1960 by being commissioned in the then regular force unit,the Queen's Own Rifles,until the QOR were disbanded on 27 April 1970. Then, most of those wishing to remain in the army (from QOR & RHC, the two regular force unit being then disbanded) had to "rebadge" to another regular force unit ie. Royal Canadian Regiment or the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.
So,it is very much possible that when Gen. MacKenzie was transferred to the Patricia's, he bought/was given a KC Officer's Badge. This bi-metal KC model, if I'm not mistaken, was worn from around 1950 to "officially" 1953/4 when the change was made to QC.
The Patricia's bi-metal badge was introduced around 1950 when the Patricia's switched from bronze badges to bi-metal.
I'm sure some of my canadian colleagues will be able to bring more informations on this subject.
Jo

The two Patricia's or's bi-metal badges and title.
http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/canada/ppcli.jpg

From our colleague The Regimental Rogue:
http://members.tripod.com/Regimental...pcli_wwii.jpeg

Last edited by Voltigeur; 18-02-09 at 11:06 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 18-02-09, 01:29 PM
Badge Guru

I notice that he is wearing a French para qualification badge. I undertand the connection between France and Canada. Is anyone allowed to wear French military qualification badges on their uniforms in Canada? e.g. para, marksman etc...... There is also what appears to be a French unit badge above that.

Sorry for being an ignorant Brit!