British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-10-11, 06:43 AM

Default curved RCA shoulder titles

I apologize for this basic question but I was unable to find an answer online... what vintage are small curved mid blue with red "R.C.A." shoulder titles? I suspect that they are early post war before the full "Royal Canadian Artillery" on dark blue titles were introduced but since I have never seen them on a uniform in a photo (that I can recall) I'm not certain of the vintage. I purchased a small group of Second World War vintage artillery insignia, div patches and group photo that included a pair of these small titles.

If there is previous thread on this subject I would love to see it but my searching was unsuccessful.
Old 12-12-11, 04:44 AM

My image host is still down.... is there anyone who can post a photo for me?
Old 12-12-11, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Stephen, Please send me the image and I will post it.
Old 12-12-11, 03:39 PM

I wonder if they were worn by home defence units.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 12-12-11, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

The archive research I have been doing indicates that abbreviated coloured embroidered corps shoulder titles were issued in Canada starting in early 1942.
Old 06-01-12, 06:55 AM

Sorry guys, somehow I missed that there were responses to my post. Anyways, I am using a new photo host as the other seems to be permanently offline.

Old 15-01-12, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Steve, I am just working through the documentation from archives on the embroidered titles in Canada. It appears that the corps titles for wear in Canada were abbreviated. For example, R.C.A., R.C.A.S.C., R.C.E., etc. Note: Not all corps used an abbreviated title. There was no official issue abbreviated title for the Canadian Intelligence Corps, (from the documentation, I don't think the C Int C had an embroidered title issued until after the war), and the Canadian Dental Corps. And, several corps did not have fully spelled out titles. Overseas insignia policy required that Canadian units be clearly identified as Canadian on their titles. So the titles approved and made overseas were mostly spelled out and included CANADA or CANADIAN etc. For example the Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps was spelled out for the overseas issue, while the titles approved in Canada were R.C.O.C. IF they wore the abbreviated title overseas, they also had to wear the worsted CANADA. So, R.C.A.P.C. only had the abbreviated title during the war, and wore that in combination with the CANADA overseas.
As the war continued, there was a lot of movement back and forth from the UK to Canada. This complicated things, as the overseas titles came back to Canada and continued in wear. On the other hand, the abbreviated titles when worn by soldiers sent overseas, were supposed to be taken down, and they were issued with the proper overseas pattern. After 1943, these were the printed patterns. Embroidered patterns were privately acquired.
Old 16-01-12, 01:29 AM

Interesting, I was not aware that abbreviated titles were primarily only used in Canada. So these were likely used in Canada which makes sense as the grouping also included some 8th Div patches. Thank you very much.