British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-08-07, 11:09 AM

Default Kings Royal Rifles Corp

What hat badge would ancester Henry Hidden have worn while in the 3rd Btn, 60 KRRC during his time in the Boer war? It is possible he left the service (time expired) in June 1901. Am not sure of how many years he served. Can anyone help?
Old 31-08-07, 02:04 PM

Default Kings Royal Rifle Corp badges

A quick look in Head-Dress badges of the British Army, Vol1 indicates the following badge was worn on Slouch hats and Forage Caps:

A Maltese cross. On the top arm a tablet inscribed 'Celer et Audax' and above the tablet a Victorian crown. In the centre of the cross a circlet inscribed 'The King's Royal Rifle Corps'. Within the circlet a bugle with strings. Battle honours on each arm of the cross.

Manufactured in black metal. Worn with a red cloth backing (frequently felt).
Sorry but I cannot post a picture as I don't own one. There is a picture in K&K- Fig 673.

This badge is common WITH A KING'S CROWN, but rare with a Victorian one. Beware of copies.
Regards. Badjez.
Old 03-09-07, 07:41 AM

Default Kings Royal Rifle Corp badges

Thank you for your reply Badjez, most informative. Does anyone have any idea what sort of price I would have to pay for either an original or a reproduction badge? This is all new to me. Also is there any pitfalls I should be looking out for when purchasing badges?
Thanks, Margaret
Old 03-09-07, 11:15 AM

H Margaret I would say about £3 to £5 for a repoduction - they are of variable quality so you need to hold out for a good one. plenty restrikes on ebay. I dont know the value of an origianal KRRC victorian crown, but going off similar regiments I would expect 8 times the above figure.

Last edited by Badger; 03-09-07 at 11:19 AM.
Old 17-09-07, 09:24 AM
BLIZZARD

Default Rifles Museum

Hi Margeret
You can get a badge for around £5 from the Rifles museum shop they sell online cannot think of their we address at the moment but Google will find it for you
Clive
Old 17-09-07, 09:32 AM
BLIZZARD

Default Got It

Hi Margaret
I have been agentleman and sussed it out for you you can get a rea good Rifle Corps badge from the Rifl;es museum shop for £6 inc p/p web address below
All the best
Clive

www. rifles-direct.com/uniform
Old 03-10-07, 10:38 PM

Here's a genuine small pattern one.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KK.673. The King's Royal Rifle Corps (QVC) (Small). F.jpg (96.0 KB, 68 views)
Old 12-11-07, 04:25 PM

Default 60th Rifles Slouch Hat Badges

Margaret,

Beware that badges of the type worn on the slouch hat would have been bigger than those sold at the Rifles Museum, as is implied by the post above. There are 2 British Companies that I know of who reproduce excellent badges, uniforms and accoutrements. They are as follows:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~thinred/index2.html

http://www.militarymetalwork.co.uk/