British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-04-16, 11:15 AM
Banned

Default Strange RAF 'Engine' Cap Badge

Does anyone have a positive I'D on this cap badge? It's a standard Kings Crown RAF brass die struck cap badge but with a brass 'engine' placed over the front.

The badge is mentioned in Margaret Nobbs 'Nobbs Notes' with a question mark, and I've not positively identified it either. The first one I saw appeared on ebay and went for something ridiculous like £180.00. I wasn't going to pay that, but believe it or not shortly after this one appeared on ebay Canada and I got it for about £20.00. They are the only two I've seen in almost 40 years collecting.

The 'engine' (or is it a rose?) is as well made as the rest of the badge but there is no sign of how it's attached. Id think its soldered/brazed. From the back you can see the 'RAF' lettering so appears to be an attachment on a standard issue badge.

Is it connected to apprentices? Maybe the Polish Air Force? Pre-war, post-war?

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-04-30 12.03.37.jpg (102.1 KB, 148 views)
Old 01-05-16, 10:12 AM
Banned

I forgot to say, after I bought mine I contacted the seller of the first one and asked if he'd pass a message to the buyer of his as I figured if he'd pay £180.00 or so he'd know what it was. Unfortunately I got no reply.
Old 01-05-16, 10:47 AM
Hanbut

Hello I asked the same question some time agao but got no sensible answers, Andrew
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=45879
Old 01-05-16, 11:20 AM

Might it be an apprentice's piece, made to prove their skill?

Stephen.
Old 01-05-16, 07:14 PM

I don't see how that can be taken as an engine over it, even a radial engine? The flowers on the 6-pointed add-on make it look non-military. The apprentices were known to have to add a numeral to their badges but this doesn't look official in any way to me unless maybe from one of the smaller colonies?
Cheers,
Alex
Old 01-05-16, 07:33 PM
Banned

It's certainly not the Burma Volunteer Air Force as that is RAF like but with BVAF in the centre.

It's certainly too well made to be a one off and there are obviously others about.
Old 01-05-16, 08:04 PM

Although it would be nice to find out exactly why the badge has a stylized flower on it you may find that it's no more than the top off a chromed tea pot lid knob, stamping like these would have been made for almost anything in years gone by, let's hope it's something more exciting than that
Old 09-05-16, 07:33 PM

Default Maybe this

anything can happen to badges , have a look at these.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=1468