British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-01-12, 10:43 AM

Default my Great Grandfather's silver war badge

Hello
i have viewed my grandfathers medal card from PRO Kew. The guide on medal cards says the card that he has is for Silver war badge only, but may have another card for war medal etc, the other card i cannot find.
The help i'm after is the ref number does not make any sense to a badge number, i even phoned the PRO and they could not help. Could anyone get the badge number for me and the reason for issue?
His name is William Walker, his regiment was the Yorkshire Dragoons, he was seconded to 9th West Riding Regt in 1917, still badged YD's.At the end of the war he left as a full Lieutenant, and was granted the rank of captain in 1919 when he left due to sickness.
Any help at all with any of his war service will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 26-01-12, 03:06 PM

There is a William Walker in the Yorkshire Dragoons Yeomanry, a Captain. This info is at the PRO, but it cost to look at the actual card £2. Type his details in the Medal index card section and check it out.
Ps There`s 9 William Walkers in the West Riding Regt.
All the best with the research.
Old 27-01-12, 09:41 AM

Thats the card i have, it says 27 mar 1919 and its the silver war badge type card. the ref number on it is 9/york dgns yeo/484. it has both the badge and medal titles "dito'ed.All the William Walkers in the W RidR are privates.Im trying to find out if he was in the trenches with the 9th W Rid R, the reason i d0n't know is because he just seems to have a silver war badge medal card and not the War or Victory medals.I know pretty much all about him thanks to the Gazzette and Army lists, the only bit missing is if he served in the trenches. thank you for your reply anyway
Old 27-01-12, 04:14 PM

Can you show the card you have on this site.
Old 31-01-12, 10:17 AM

I've tried but my computer is playing up! on the PRO web site its the third type of card on there. the other writing on it is says 'eligible 31/03/19'.with that ref 9/yks dgs yeo/484. there is a 'badge' and 'medal' title on the card, both have ditto's on them. I hope you can help

Thank you for your time
Old 31-01-12, 02:22 PM

Can`t be sure without seeing the card. But usually the ditto on these cards mean they have the item to the left of the ditto, but like i say need to see the card really.
Old 05-02-12, 11:23 AM

Officer's service records mostly survive - unlike ORs. Try searching for him on the NA website under WO 339 or WO 374. As it's a fairly common name you might have to try WO 338, but you'd have to go to Kew, or get someone to go for you - to see the actual records.
The WDs of 9/WRiding and YD might help too.