British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-07-10, 02:59 PM
Former Member

Default Scottish Cadets... Some Info Please!

I badge I have fancied for a while, now I have one, there are a few questions! What was the period of wear? Also the 3 lug fittings to the rear, do not run horizontal, the center being a little higher (see bend in pin), was this to attach a feather hackle, if so what size and colour would it be?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG7874.jpg (47.1 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG7875.jpg (44.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG7876.jpg (49.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 12-07-10, 03:38 PM

I am surprised that no one can give any information about this badge or the unit.

I have read something about the unit in the past but cannot find the reference now.

The badge is illustrated in Bloomer ( Scottish Regimental Badges ) No 352 which merely says " The Scottish Cadets c.1932,wm "

I wonder if it could be anything to do with one of the 2 Scottish Cadet Battalions ( numbers 99 and 100) in Westlake " A register of Territorial Force Cadet Units 1910-1922" both Church Lads Brigade units.

Will keep on searching.
P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 12-07-10, 08:35 PM

Hi Andy,
A nice badge you have, I'm looking for one myself. Sorry I can't answer your questions but here is a button alongside a London Scottish.
Cheers, Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScottishCadetsbutton.jpg (18.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 13-07-10, 09:19 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I am surprised that no one can give any information about this badge or the unit.

I have read something about the unit in the past but cannot find the reference now.

The badge is illustrated in Bloomer ( Scottish Regimental Badges ) No 352 which merely says " The Scottish Cadets c.1932,wm "

I wonder if it could be anything to do with one of the 2 Scottish Cadet Battalions ( numbers 99 and 100) in Westlake " A register of Territorial Force Cadet Units 1910-1922" both Church Lads Brigade units.

Will keep on searching.

P.B.
P.B.
many thanks, any info would be appreciated! Buywise has a couple listed and states that they were affiliated to the London Scottish? One also has a red backing?

Andy
Old 13-07-10, 09:42 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Andy,

I'm sure you've already got this but........

London Scottish Cadet Corps
A detailed history of the London Scottish Cadets can be found in the Regimental Gazette, written month to month over the years, but there follows some useful facts about all three Army Cadet Units that are badged London Scottish.

The earliest record of The London Scottish Cadet Corps ("LSCC") was in 1902. It existed alongside their sponsors The London Scottish Regiment now A (London Scottish) Coy The London Regiment. The London Scottish Cadets originally formed as a battalion with three companies and a pipe band. It was one of a very few cadet battalions to be presented its own Colours.

The LSCC is now 235 London Scottish Detachment, a member of 23 Group Middlesex and NW London ACF. Formally based at the RHQ 95 Horseferry road until 2005 and now at the former RMP barracks on Rochester row. 235 lives on to share its traditions with two other cadet detachments now in the Greater London & South East Sector ACF.

95(London Scottish)Cadet Coy - Eltham was formed in the 1940s with a nucleus of boys from Eltham College. It is based on the site of a former Royal Artillery TA Centre in Footscray Road SE9. Ocs included Major (later Lt Col) Stewart Allward, Capt "Bunny" Bancroft, Capt Eric Botell and Capt Nigel Betts.

The third London Scottish Cadet unit is 102 (Bromley) Pltn, 10 (Kent) Cadet Regiment, formed originally in 1913 as part of the 1st Cadet Btn Royal North West Kent Regt, over the years the unit was re-badged a number of times, firstly as a Royal Artillery unit and in the 1970s as a Royal Signals unit.

It's a start.......................

Dave.
Old 13-07-10, 03:35 PM

Dave has given some interesting info on units that were "Badged" London Scottish and whilst Buywyze are usually accurate about these things, the reference I think I saw in the past did not say that the Scottish Cadets whose badge is the subject of this thread were affiliated to the London Scottish.

I will find the reference in due course.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 13-07-10, 03:47 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Peter,

I just typed " Scottish Cadets " into my search engine, what you see is what came up...........you know how clueless I am anyway !

Dave.
Old 13-07-10, 04:40 PM

Default Scottish Cadets

The Church Lads Brigade had two Cadet Battalions in Scotland, 1st Battalion was for Edinburgh and 2nd Battalion for Glasgow. There is no connection between the CLB Battalions and the Scottish Cadets. There is a short history available ... The Church Lads Brigade in Scotland, 1896 to 1957 ... for a small charge, if anyone is interested. Johnny Conn
My avatar shows the St Martin's Banner, which was dedicated to all those from the Church Lads Brigade who were killed in the 1st World War, some 20,000 men. It is in the safe keeping of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster Abbey.
Old 15-07-10, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hi Andy,

I'm sure you've already got this but........

London Scottish Cadet Corps
A detailed history of the London Scottish Cadets can be found in the Regimental Gazette, written month to month over the years, but there follows some useful facts about all three Army Cadet Units that are badged London Scottish.

The earliest record of The London Scottish Cadet Corps ("LSCC") was in 1902. It existed alongside their sponsors The London Scottish Regiment now A (London Scottish) Coy The London Regiment. The London Scottish Cadets originally formed as a battalion with three companies and a pipe band. It was one of a very few cadet battalions to be presented its own Colours.

The LSCC is now 235 London Scottish Detachment, a member of 23 Group Middlesex and NW London ACF. Formally based at the RHQ 95 Horseferry road until 2005 and now at the former RMP barracks on Rochester row. 235 lives on to share its traditions with two other cadet detachments now in the Greater London & South East Sector ACF.

95(London Scottish)Cadet Coy - Eltham was formed in the 1940s with a nucleus of boys from Eltham College. It is based on the site of a former Royal Artillery TA Centre in Footscray Road SE9. Ocs included Major (later Lt Col) Stewart Allward, Capt "Bunny" Bancroft, Capt Eric Botell and Capt Nigel Betts.

The third London Scottish Cadet unit is 102 (Bromley) Pltn, 10 (Kent) Cadet Regiment, formed originally in 1913 as part of the 1st Cadet Btn Royal North West Kent Regt, over the years the unit was re-badged a number of times, firstly as a Royal Artillery unit and in the 1970s as a Royal Signals unit.

It's a start.......................

Dave.
Interesting info Dave. I'd be interested to know the outcome here to as i also have this badge and collars.

I can add a bit here I went to school in Victoria in the early to mid 1970's and although I never joined the school cadets I remember them being affiliated to the London Scottish who as you say were HQ'd nearby in Horseferry Road. However, they drilled at the Green Jackets TA Barracks in Fulham High Street and never wore the London Scottish badge wearing instead the A/A Highland Brigade on their Tam O'Shanters.
Old 25-07-10, 08:52 AM

Finally found what I was looking for. Churchill- History of the British Army Infantry Collar badge page 234 No 1480- scottish cadets collar badge.

This is listed under Church Lads Brigade in the chapter on The Kings Royal Rifle Corps and is said to have been worn by the Scottish Battalion Church Lads Brigade.

I dont know if Colin is correct or where his information came from but this is what was at the back of my mind in my earlier post.

P.B.

Old 05-08-10, 08:10 PM

Default Scottish cadets

Andy,

Attached is the Scotland page from the 1939 Cadet List. Scottish Cadets are listed under Glasgow in very small print. I could see nothing for Scottish cadet affiliations in Kent, Essex, County of London or City of London lists.

Regards, Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cadet List 1939 (14-15).jpg (61.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-08-10, 09:04 PM
Former Member

Thanks Stephen!

Andy
Old 13-08-10, 08:42 AM

An interesting badge and I still dont think we have identified the location of the unit with any certainty.

There is another, different example of the basdge for sale on the Helmets and Headgear web site. It is of 4 piece construction with some gilded parts, also has the 3 lugs ( across the centre of the badge ) as on Andys badge.

P.B.

Old 13-08-10, 09:28 AM
Former Member

The badge mentioned above:

http://www.helmetsandheadgear.co.uk/images/BM154.jpg

Andy
Old 13-08-10, 09:30 AM
Former Member

and the rear...

http://www.helmetsandheadgear.co.uk/images/BM154-1.jpg