British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-02-09, 01:44 PM

Default Arab Units with British Connections/ 1st Muscat Infantry

In the absence of many available badges or medals just now in this my passionate field of research I have been doing some non specific ferreting around in lists, catalogues, MICs, rolls and so on and have come up with a list.

Firstly the definition. With some exceptions I am limiting myself to units raised in Arabia Felix, that is from the Suez Canal to the borders of Syria and Iraq. Units can be exclusively Arab, exclusively non-Arab or any combination thereof; they can also be British like the Trucial Oman Scouts, or Arab like the Arab Legion, the only criteria is that they were at some time awarded British Campaign Medals. I've let the Imperial Camel Corps in for no better reason than I like them and it's my list!

There are 89 of them ranging alphabetically from the Aden Brigade to the Zobier Levy. They range in size from the Yemen Infantry with 1018 National Archive MIC hits to the Palestine News or Iraq General Hospital with just one. The geographical range is from the Assyrian Mountaineers in the north to the Aden Protectorate Levies in the south and the medals range from the Africa General Service Medal for Jubaland to the Aden Troop to the Campaign Service Medal for South Arabia to the Aden Police.

One or two seeming obvious candidates are in fact non-runners. Both the Arab Rifles and the Arab Home Guard are at home somewhere in Africa for example. And there are a couple I am not completely sure where they come from!

But on the whole there should really be more material about than there is!!

Please let me know if you come on any in your travels, physical or webwise. And if there is anything you don't really want ... well I know someone who does.

Eddie

PS Here's a nice one to start with:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st Muscat Infantry.jpg (96.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 20-05-10, 09:32 AM

Default Abu Dhabi

Looking up the TOS, I came across your pages in the forum. I am currently based in Abu Dhabi, and work with a former member of the Emirates Defence Force. I also have met several former member of the TOS, including one who is 87 (he thinks) this year.

No luck with any badges or uniforms though. Fascinating stories they all have to tell.