British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-06-10, 11:50 AM

Default Trade Badge - Possible Combat Diver???

Could someone (Bill ??) please ID this trade Badge. I think it may be a combat Diver of some sorts, but cannot find it in any of my references.

Thanks

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TBadge019.jpg (88.5 KB, 88 views)
Old 24-06-10, 12:25 PM

Hello Karry, here's Chalifoux website on naval badges.You can see some varieties of your badge past the middle of the page.
http://jfchalifoux.com/rcn.htm

Cheers
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 24-06-10, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Larry, Yes, the badge in question is the Combat Divers qualification badge. It appears to be a garrison dress pattern?
Old 24-06-10, 10:23 PM

Default Trade Badge Combat Diver-Naval-Garrison Dress????

Hey Bill!

As far as I can tell it is garrison dress, right material, right color. I did not think that the Navy did the trade Badges in Garrison Dress??????? I was thinking that it might be a RCE badge

Larry
Old 25-06-10, 11:43 PM

Default Combat Diver

It is indeed a Combat Diver - Garrison Dress Badge. Combat Divers are a speciality within the Canadian Military Engineers Branch, hence the inverted E which is an engineer bridge symbol, over the combat knife and the two crossed tridents.

The Naval and Air Force hazardous skills were all produced in Garrison Dress and they make up into a fine collection of insignia that has been out of use for probably 15 years.

This is the Ships Diver and Shallow Water badge.

Here is the Submariner badge.

Many of you are probably asking why do these obviously non-Army badges in Garrison Dress. Well, you could be a Submariner and remuster to an Army trade and therefore you would be allowed to wear the badge to show that you had achieved that qualification in your former trade. I once saw an Army Clerk who wore both the Airborne wings and the Submariner badge.
Old 26-06-10, 10:47 AM

Default Post 1985 CF Badges

The various parachute, flight crew, diving and submariner badges are considered Hazardous Skill Badges where as the other series of badges are considered to be Trades Badges. The Trades badges catagory constitutes the Naval tombstone style badges, the Air Force half-wings and the Army DEU and now discontinued Garrison Dress trades badges.
Old 05-11-14, 04:09 AM

Default Combat Diver Badge

Larry;

Don't know if you have had this answered already but the badge you have is an obsolete Garrison Dress Badge (1990 - 1998). Refferred to as a Hazardous Skill Badge and unique to Combat Engineers (inverted "E" beneath the Dagger stands for Engineer). The official name of this badge is the Combat Diver Badge and normally only Field Engineers qualify for this specialty.

Cheers;

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLWill View Post
Could someone (Bill ??) please ID this trade Badge. I think it may be a combat Diver of some sorts, but cannot find it in any of my references.

Thanks

Larry