British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-02-20, 11:40 PM

Default Grenadier Coy 2 Mercians flash

Hi folks

Just spotted this on a FB clip of 2 Mercians in Jordan, Bush hat flash of a grenade on green diamond, the lad says his in the Grenadier Company.

Regards
Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (35.8 KB, 103 views)
Old 13-02-20, 06:04 AM

If I'm not mistaken (and MH331 will correct me if I am !) - "A" Company of the 1st Battalion The Worcestershire & Sherwood Foresters Regiment always carried the title of " A (Grenadier) Company", when 1 WFR became 2 nd Battalion The Mercian Regiment in 2006/2007 I can only assume that the tradition was retained .
Soldiers of A Company wear as a helmet or hat flash an embroidered Royal Engineers Sgt's "Bursting Bomb" arm badge on a diamond shaped patch of Lincoln Green felt. These badges are locally made (and I'm pretty sure, unofficial)

PL
Old 13-02-20, 03:26 PM

All three battalion’s now have named companies,
1st Battalion have A (Grenadier), B (Malta), C (Kohima) and D (Dragon (Earl of Chester’s) Companies.
2nd A (Grenadier), B (Malta), C (Kohima) and D (Dragon) Companies.
4Th A (Grenadier), B (Malta), C (Kohima) and D (Dragon) Companies. 4 Mercian has no A Company at the moment as A (Fusilier) Company moved to 5RRF.
Old 14-02-20, 11:11 AM

Paul,

You are spot on. The A (Grenadier) Coy designation came into being in 1989 with 1 WFR and has stuck into the Mercians. I was serving in A (Grenadier) Coy at its inception.

Regards

MARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
If I'm not mistaken (and MH331 will correct me if I am !) - "A" Company of the 1st Battalion The Worcestershire & Sherwood Foresters Regiment always carried the title of " A (Grenadier) Company", when 1 WFR became 2 nd Battalion The Mercian Regiment in 2006/2007 I can only assume that the tradition was retained .
Soldiers of A Company wear as a helmet or hat flash an embroidered Royal Engineers Sgt's "Bursting Bomb" arm badge on a diamond shaped patch of Lincoln Green felt. These badges are locally made (and I'm pretty sure, unofficial)

PL
Old 14-02-20, 12:11 PM

Fab info everyone many thanks, so do all he other companies wear various bush hat flashes?
Regards
Sean
Old 16-02-20, 03:42 PM

I had only ever seen a photos of the regimental TRF being worn on the bush hat. Here are a few photos I have some of which you would probably seen. The first four as far as I know are no longer used since the 3rd battalion went. The regiment then changed it's name to the Cheshire, Worcester's and Foresters and Stafford's and all three battalions wear the regimental TRF. The 2 TRF's with the eagle on are duff IMO.
Old 28-02-20, 06:33 PM

The flaming grenade badge (7 flames) on the diamond flash looks like the brown (khaki) version used by the Grenadier Guards with the outer edge cut down. The sapper badge (9 flames) has a different pattern to the flames, no central bar between the grenade and the flames, and is white with khaki highlights.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:33 PM.
Old 29-02-20, 05:40 PM

. The 2 TRF's with the eagle on are duff IMO.[/QUOTE]

They are private purchase morale patches, many regiments have them.