British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-07-14, 06:44 PM

Default 26th Gurkha Brigade

Dear all,

I was told that the above mentioned Brigade had once related with the 40th Infantry Division while saw service in Hong Kong. Any of our member have knowledge on this Brigade ?

Is the badge image attached belongs to this Brigade ? Any formation sign ?

Have a nice day !

Warmest regards,

Bruno
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqV,!h8E2JUonrT8BNtIpOd03g~~_12.jpg (43.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 22-07-14, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonwealthlover View Post
Dear all,

I was told that the above mentioned Brigade had once related with the 40th Infantry Division while saw service in Hong Kong. Any of our member have knowledge on this Brigade ?

Is the badge image attached belongs to this Brigade ? Any formation sign ?

Have a nice day !

Warmest regards,

Bruno
26 Gurkha Bde: Oct 46 redesignation of 6 Inf Bde, 2 Inf Div. Jul 48 26 Gurkha Bde formed in Hong Kong. 26 Gurkha Bde joined 40 Inf Div when the Division was formed in Hong Kong in Jun 49. As at Dec 49 comprised 1 Buffs, 2/6 GR and 2/10 GR. From Hong Kong to Malaya 7 Apr 50 with 1 Cameronians, 2/6 GR, 2/10 GR. As at Dec 50 26 Gurkha Bde was in South Malaya District Seremban) with 13/18 H (-), 1 Green Howards, 1/6 GR, 1/7 GR, 1 Malay Regt and 26 Fd Regt RA. 26 Gurkha Bde moved to Hong Kong Apr 52 and returned to Malaya in Sep 52 as 26 Indep Gurkha Bde. As at Apr 53 26 Gurkha Bde was in 17 Gurka Div with 1 Cameronians, 2/6 GR, 1 Malay Regt, 1 Fijian Regt. By Apr 57 was still in 17 Gurkha Div with Sqn KDG, 2/2 GR, 2/6 GR and 7 Malay Regt.(and lost without trace thereafter!) Comd as at Apr 52 was Brig (later Maj Gen) LHO Pugh. Mike
Old 22-07-14, 09:09 PM

I think the badge you have is said to be to the 26th Gurkhas , a war raised unit disbanded soon after, Kevin
Old 22-07-14, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGLE IRON View Post
I think the badge you have is said to be to the 26th Gurkhas , a war raised unit disbanded soon after, Kevin
Thanks Kevin, do you have any item that related to this Brigade ?

Cheers,

Bruno
Old 23-07-14, 06:18 AM

Bruno, I collect Indian badges including Gurkha , I have a couple of albums on the forum but no swaps or duplicates, regards Kevin
Old 23-07-14, 04:59 PM

The badge you have shown is for the 26th Gurkha Rifles, this was a 'garrison' unit comprising of those deemed to old or unfit for front line duty. its sister unit is the 25th GR.
Both units badges are widely faked.

regards

Steve
Old 22-07-14, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
26 Gurkha Bde: Oct 46 redesignation of 6 Inf Bde, 2 Inf Div. Jul 48 26 Gurkha Bde formed in Hong Kong. 26 Gurkha Bde joined 40 Inf Div when the Division was formed in Hong Kong in Jun 49. As at Dec 49 comprised 1 Buffs, 2/6 GR and 2/10 GR. From Hong Kong to Malaya 7 Apr 50 with 1 Cameronians, 2/6 GR, 2/10 GR. As at Dec 50 26 Gurkha Bde was in South Malaya District Seremban) with 13/18 H (-), 1 Green Howards, 1/6 GR, 1/7 GR, 1 Malay Regt and 26 Fd Regt RA. 26 Gurkha Bde moved to Hong Kong Apr 52 and returned to Malaya in Sep 52 as 26 Indep Gurkha Bde. As at Apr 53 26 Gurkha Bde was in 17 Gurka Div with 1 Cameronians, 2/6 GR, 1 Malay Regt, 1 Fijian Regt. By Apr 57 was still in 17 Gurkha Div with Sqn KDG, 2/2 GR, 2/6 GR and 7 Malay Regt.(and lost without trace thereafter!) Comd as at Apr 52 was Brig (later Maj Gen) LHO Pugh. Mike
Thanks again Mike. Any formation sign that 26 Gurkha Brigade ever have ?

Cheers,

Bruno
Old 23-07-14, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonwealthlover View Post
Thanks again Mike. Any formation sign that 26 Gurkha Brigade ever have ?

Cheers,

Bruno
As far as I know there is no evidence that a formation sign was ever allocated to or worn by 26 Gurkha Bde. There have been occasional rumours over the last 30 + years that a sign of white crossed kukris on a mid blue rectangle was that of 26 Gurkha Bde, but there is nothing I know of that substantiates that. I've seen several examples of that sign, but none were Ordnance issue (as per 48, 63 and 99 Gurkha Bdes' printed signs). Mike
Old 23-07-14, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
As far as I know there is no evidence that a formation sign was ever allocated to or worn by 26 Gurkha Bde. There have been occasional rumours over the last 30 + years that a sign of white crossed kukris on a mid blue rectangle was that of 26 Gurkha Bde, but there is nothing I know of that substantiates that. I've seen several examples of that sign, but none were Ordnance issue (as per 48, 63 and 99 Gurkha Bdes' printed signs). Mike
Mike,

I never seen an example of the one that you've mentioned. Any existed example that you can show me. Many thanks !

Cheers,

Bruno
Old 12-11-16, 11:35 PM

I was researching 1/SWB who served with 26th Gurkha Bde during the Malaya Emergency and found a few threads.

In a book 1/SWB are shown wearing crossed Kukris on a cloth patch though the pics are B&W so the colour can't be seen.(pics are from image of wales, the south wales borderers (24th regiment of foot) compiled by Martin Everett for the swb museum 1999 Tempus publishing Ltd.).

I notice in this thread and some others that no sign is known for 26th Bde. though in this thread linked below two former members say they wore the green backed version whilst serving with 26th Bde.

I wonder what colour would have been worn by 1/SWB whilst they served with the Bde as shown in the pictures?

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ivision&page=3

I also have copied and pasted the two comments for ease.

Hi,Arthur,I served with 26 Gurkha inf bde,from early 1953 to aug 1955,the unit did have a bde patch which was the cross Kukries on a green background.The Bde was part of 17 Div in Seremban,and was stationed in Kluang where I first joined them.It was not long afterwards that we became,a mobile headquarters ,supporting operational unit close to the area of operations,in such places as Kual Lipis,Bukit Betong,Bidor,Kuala pilah,and finaly we marched from Kuala pilah to Seremban,the whole unit took part in thismarch.We did at the end of the day ended up staying at rasah camp where I eventualy returned home.Hope this helps Edward

&

Hi all, yes agree with Edward, green background with crossed kukris was indeed 26 Bde. I served in Malaya 56 to 59 and wore that patch on one arm and the flaming ars----- on the other arm. I was billeted in 58/59 at HQ 26 Gurkha Inf Bde at Segamat. This was a permanent camp with bashas, not those terrible godolphins that I was in at Jamentah.

Still got a couple of my flashes and a few badges etc. Willj.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 swb in malaya scan 3 sv.jpg (94.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 1 swb in malaya scan 1 sv.jpg (89.9 KB, 26 views)

Jerry