British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-09-20, 11:30 AM

Default Airborne Pegasus group

Hi All.
My wifes Cousin has reluctantly decided she has to part with her dad's patches, so i am looking for some good advise on current values. I have collected militaria for over 35 years but never British cloth, so not familiar with the market for these. Not sure of all the bits she is prepared to move on yet and what she will want to keep, but they belonged to Sgt. L Reed of 53rd (worcester Yeomanry) Air Landing Light Regiment. He seemd to jump between 210 and 211 Battery of the 53rd and the 1st Air landing Light regiment. He was with 211 in Normandy, 210 Bty for Varsity. He said he had some involvement with Market Garden and went to Norway with the 1st. He did it all basically. We have a small archive of photos and documents and I remember these patches in his release documents when he showed them to me many years ago. He was Royal Artillery from 1931 to 1946. I am geting his story together to put on Paradata soon.
Anyway, he kept some of his uniform worn printed patches and had an uncut pair of pegasus embroidered patches. He never claimed his medals but had a 39-45 Star ribband from his uniform which I presume they were all issued with in the field?
Many thanks.
Richard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8827.jpg (43.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8820.jpg (54.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8825.jpg (67.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8826.jpg (66.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8828.jpg (49.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg les6.jpg (67.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg les gun 2.jpg (48.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 211 bty Les.jpg (65.0 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by sturgis; 16-09-20 at 12:09 PM.
Old 16-09-20, 12:28 PM

Ballpark, £250-300 for the patches

Jerry
Old 16-09-20, 01:47 PM

Default Patches

You use the word "reluctantly" in regard to getting rid of the patches, personally I would keep the ones that were removed from uniform as they are attributable to Sgt. L Reed of 53rd (worcester Yeomanry) Air Landing Light Regiment.

Just a thought?

Rob
Old 16-09-20, 06:22 PM

Unfortunately, financial issues due to covid are forcing her hand.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
You use the word "reluctantly" in regard to getting rid of the patches, personally I would keep the ones that were removed from uniform as they are attributable to Sgt. L Reed of 53rd (worcester Yeomanry) Air Landing Light Regiment.

Just a thought?

Rob
Old 16-09-20, 07:14 PM

Value rises if items are kept together to add context - it is unwise to split items into small lots in my opinion - value rises exponentially as items are grouped to provide context, eg an image of the wearer, something to tie it all together such as a letter of explanation, etc Otherwise (in my opinion) the items are very desirable cloth, with a name, but nothing more - the potential value rests with the story to be told, not just the cloth itself.
All the best and good luck with it all
Mike
Old 17-09-20, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Value rises if items are kept together to add context - it is unwise to split items into small lots in my opinion - value rises exponentially as items are grouped to provide context, eg an image of the wearer, something to tie it all together such as a letter of explanation, etc Otherwise (in my opinion) the items are very desirable cloth, with a name, but nothing more - the potential value rests with the story to be told, not just the cloth itself.
All the best and good luck with it all
Mike
Agreed.