British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-03-08, 04:47 PM

Default Complete collection N.Z.

Besides the artillery badge posted on the artillery thread this is my complete collection of New Zealand badges.. (did I get your attention with the title?)
Old 07-03-08, 04:48 PM

Old 08-03-08, 05:53 AM

.... very very nice!!!!!
Old 08-03-08, 11:15 PM

Jim

You did get my attention with your "complete collection" heading. Obviously you meant "your" complete collection. Can we expect more?

Hugh
Old 09-03-08, 05:01 PM

Yes.. you've seen my whole New Zealand collection...I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for more New Zealand badges... they are not found in abundance in my part of Canada... when i do find something I'll be sure to post them... I like the permanent staff collar ... any backround on it would be appreciated... thanks
Old 11-03-08, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim a View Post
Yes.. you've seen my whole New Zealand collection...I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for more New Zealand badges... they are not found in abundance in my part of Canada... when i do find something I'll be sure to post them... I like the permanent staff collar ... any backround on it would be appreciated... thanks
Formed in 1911 as a training Corps of 200 NCO's. Disbanded on 9 Januari 1947 with the formation of the New Zealand Army as the Reguar and Territorial Forces had become integrated.
The Permanent Staff recruited subsequent personnel from private soldiers.

The collars are facing inwards.

This info from Corbett - The Regimental Badges of New Zealand, p. 56.

Regards, fougasse1940.
Old 11-03-08, 01:28 PM

thanks for the reply... the Corbett book seems like a good reference... I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.. a person can't have to many books.. especially if I plan to double my N.Z. collection this year!
Old 11-03-08, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim a View Post
thanks for the reply... the Corbett book seems like a good reference... I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.. a person can't have to many books.. especially if I plan to double my N.Z. collection this year!
Good luck, you've still got 8 months to go. The Motto 'Ake Ake Kia Kaha' means: For ever and ever, be strong. So with Corbett you can even brush up on your Maori!
There seems to be a makers mark on the back of your Permanent Staff collar, what does it say?

Regards, fougasse1940.
Old 11-03-08, 05:16 PM

You have sharp eyes... the upper marking appears to be DOWLER... the marking underneath is very blurred but I would hazard a guess at AUSTRAILIA. was Dowler a badge maker from there?
Old 11-03-08, 05:27 PM

William Dowler & Son “Dowler Birmingham”, A UK badge manufacturer taken over by Gaunt.
Old 17-03-08, 08:42 PM

Hi, would you know when Gaunt took over Dowler, and did they stop useing the name then? Could be a useful cut-off date for dating badges.
Old 01-04-08, 09:31 PM

Post Modern NZ badges

Just thought I would show these items. Last years Chrismas present from my younger brother who is in the NZ army.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZ Collection.jpg (57.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 01-04-08, 11:28 PM

Nice display... I'll have to work hard to catch up to you.... nice displays of your ra,re and r sigs over on the british site by the way... thanks for showing them.
Old 03-04-08, 07:11 AM

Smile My NZ badges

Jim,
No problem. It was me getting that set of NZ badges and framing them up which re-kindled my interest again. I believe what is in that frame are all the NZ regimental badges in use today. Thanks for the compliment about the RA, RE and R.sigs badges. I've posted a few others here and there, mainly on my introduction piece. Should be a few more going on later. Some nice WW1 Canadian ones.
Good luck with your own NZ collection
John
Old 25-06-08, 11:32 PM

Jim, I have a collection of NZ Badges photos only and I have the Book regimental badges of NZ in which I can help you with Mottos, Battle Honours,..etc