British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > The Royal Australian Navy and Air Force (RAN & RAAF)

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26-04-16, 07:17 AM
alco's Avatar
alco alco is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Provence
Posts: 144
Default Cocorico !

Hello,

News of the day about the RAN :

French shipbuilder DCNS has won a $50 billion contract to build Australia’s next fleet of 12 submarines ....

see :
http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...c079c9e3adb9ae

Soon twelve new names to come
and twelve new ship's badges to discover .............

__________________
Alco ............................................o|--}
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26-04-16, 07:19 AM
slick_mick's Avatar
slick_mick slick_mick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,875
Default

Yes - built in Australia as well.



Mick
__________________
Looking for Australian military books?

Regimental Books - Australian Unit History specialists

Chasing militaria? I recommend:

Militaria Online - Australian Militaria Sales
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26-04-16, 07:58 AM
fairlie63's Avatar
fairlie63 fairlie63 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Claremont, Tasmania
Posts: 1,139
Default

Awesome, made in Australia.

Problem is that it's hard to forget that we couldn't crew the six we already have and I don't think the combat suites in half of them became operational before they 'aged' in any case. Then there's the experience of the Air Warfare destroyer program and the F35 Strike Fighter or whatever they call it. Cost over-runs, due into service estimates moved back year after year, one inquiry after another, all of which point to political, defence and public service bureaucratic incompetence, duplication, hissy fits and all the rest.

I hope they get it right this time.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26-04-16, 08:07 AM
slick_mick's Avatar
slick_mick slick_mick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
Awesome, made in Australia.

Problem is that it's hard to forget that we couldn't crew the six we already have and I don't think the combat suites in half of them became operational before they 'aged' in any case. Then there's the experience of the Air Warfare destroyer program and the F35 Strike Fighter or whatever they call it. Cost over-runs, due into service estimates moved back year after year, one inquiry after another, all of which point to political, defence and public service bureaucratic incompetence, duplication, hissy fits and all the rest.

I hope they get it right this time.
All good points.

Plus who knows what will happen if the government changes to an ALP Government come the next federal election this year (possibly in July).

More election year promises??

Mick
__________________
Looking for Australian military books?

Regimental Books - Australian Unit History specialists

Chasing militaria? I recommend:

Militaria Online - Australian Militaria Sales
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26-04-16, 09:24 AM
alco's Avatar
alco alco is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Provence
Posts: 144
Default

Yo'

I would not want to add to the ambient pessimism ;

If the Shortfin Barracuda project is beyond the capacities of the Aussies, don't be scared :
In France, the present government do have a solution !
-1 build the ships up to completion
-2 store them in a safe port
-3 give them to Egypt
-4 wait for money from Saudi
-5 turn to next file ........

__________________
Alco ............................................o|--}
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26-04-16, 12:29 PM
Voltigeur's Avatar
Voltigeur Voltigeur is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal,Canada.
Posts: 5,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco View Post
Hello,

News of the day about the RAN :

French shipbuilder DCNS has won a $50 billion contract to build Australia’s next fleet of 12 submarines ....

see :
http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...c079c9e3adb9ae

Soon twelve new names to come
and twelve new ship's badges to discover .............

Hopefully you Aussies will not get screwed like we were when we bought 4 used subs from the brits.......
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...says-1.1166047

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...roversy-04563/

Jo
__________________
"There truly exists but one perfect order: that of cemeteries. The dead never complain and they enjoy their equality in silence." -

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26-04-16, 01:10 PM
QSAMIKE's Avatar
QSAMIKE QSAMIKE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Home of the New West, Canada
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Hopefully you Aussies will not get screwed like we were when we bought 4 used subs from the brits.......
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...says-1.1166047

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...roversy-04563/

Jo

Was not part of the purchase agreement giving the British Army a 100 year lease on the usage of C.F.B. Suffield in southern Alberta..... I know that this brings in 100's of millions of dollars to the local community..... In a way it makes up for the subs but not much......

Mike
__________________
Calgary Military Historical Society
OMRS 1591
Boer War Badges
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.