British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-12-07, 09:14 PM

Default Hadhrami Bedouin Legion

This thread originated from that of the Trucial Oman Scouts, but it seemed that, to avoid confusion, it would be better for it to have its own thread.

The Hadhrami Bedouin Legion was formed in1940 foor service in the East Aden Protectorate and eventually absorbed into the forces of the People's Democratic Republic of Yemen.

I have two specimens of the badge, one cast, one die-struck. The cast badge is, at 47mm high, slightly larger than the die-struck version, which is 43mm high. Both should have brooch-pin fastenings, though this is missing from the cast badge. The scroll, on this badge, however, does bear signs of having had a red-painted background to the script. The cast badge was found in a small shop in Knaresborough market place.

The die-struck badge was donated by the(then) C.O. of the unit in 11965. and the inscription reads (in Arabic) Army of the Bedouin of the Hadramout. This badge has a bright chrome finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSD_0BC5.JPG (20.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg PSD_6D06.JPG (22.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-12-07, 10:07 PM

Thank you for posting those. Very nice badges indeed, and what a find!

I shall have to keep looking.

Incidentally have you seen The Armed Forces of Aden 1839-1967 by Lord and Birtles?

Not really on topic but I've just acquired a GSM to a TOS private soldier which has a Cyprus Clasp as well as the more usual but still not common Arabian Peninsula. So today's started for 10 is what was a TOS Jundi doing in Cyprus during the emergency???

Eddie
Old 09-12-07, 07:18 PM

Yes, I've seen the Lord & Birtles book - you will note my two HBL badges are in there ( via the Military Historical Society). It is a very good refererence and the only one I know which lists the various Aden units and private armies. Unfortunately, illustrations of many of their badges are not available.

The HBL shoulder title is attached. I seem to recall that it was chromed, like the head-dress badge.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSD_4338.JPG (14.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-12-07, 05:51 PM

Thanks for posting that.

After I wrote my last I had realised the HBL badges in L&B must be yours since one had identical damage!!

Eddie
Old 16-01-08, 06:55 AM

Default Lord Book

I know Cliff Lord well I lunch with him once a month. If anyone has any question I can pose them to him. Regards Shaun
Old 24-02-08, 09:08 AM

Default Hbl

Further to your comments about the HBL badges, the first type were made in the local markets in Mukalla. David Birtles had both examples. I only have the newer one. I do have a nice pix of the title though. Never found out much about the HBL cloth underlays worn under the title. Signals was blue and white.

Since the book was published I have come across a few new titles and badges but mainly pix. However I do have a lot of new pictures of the troops for a pictorial suplement. Time is the problem.

Always keen to hear from people wishing to sell Aden badges and patches.
Cliff Lord
Old 27-02-08, 12:40 PM

Hello Cliff - how nice to see you in here!!

Great book - for both historians and badge collectors!

Howe about posting your HBL ST picture?

Eddie
Old 29-02-08, 07:42 AM

Eddie, will include the image and a few more badges in the pictorial book on Aden I am preparing. All depends on time though as have never been as busy.
BRgds

Cliff