British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-01-10, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Boots and Saddles,

Your original remark was made on the Canadian General Topics site, this was obviously missed by the British members who reacted to what you said but you didn't say originally that it was aimed at Canadian sellers only and I still believe the statement was aimed at all sellers.

To then admit that you don't know too much about the prices charged over here isn't good enough to excuse what I would consider to be incitement, particularly as you went on to say that you weren't in the market for badges anyway.

I personally, thought your remarks were blase, especially your last remark which I think was flippant to say the least, you are fast enough to say that if an item does not sell, we all know why but I think, again it's my own opinion, that when it comes to people selling in a dedicated sales section and not necessarily on this forum, the prices asked have absolutely nothing to do with you or anyone else.

If you see something and think it's too expensive, click off it, no-one is asking you or anyone else if the price is right or wrong, if it's a fixed price, the seller has decided that price and it is none of your business what he decides, end of.
I could not agree with you more
Dave
Old 17-01-10, 04:42 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Dave , My apologies again to the British members, I realize now that it wasn't good enough to just list it under the Canadian section that I should have stipulated that it was Canadian prices (which I am familiar with).My thinking was that this forum was a sort of club where you could possibly give a fellow member a good deal, If you were out to get all you could then you would try it on ebay where you have the wide coverage .
Old 17-01-10, 04:54 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Ray,

It's now water under the bridge, it's never going to be easy trying to please everyone, I can agree with you to a point re some of the prices being asked but who dictates a fair price and at the end of the day, the seller has the right to decide his price.

I can only use myself as a yard stick and the prices I was asking for my items was, in comparison, cheap, several of my OSD badges cost me far more than I sold them for but I nearly always gain when using ebay.

I have recently sold several badges to a 'forum friend ' at a lesser price than I would have achieved had I used ebay, I was happy with the deal, I think he was, if that is what you were getting at, then I guess perhaps, you need to be more specific when being critical...........call a spade a spade etc.

Dave.
Old 17-01-10, 05:56 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Great, That is what a club is about, and if this thread has caused some to think this way then it has served it's purpose but if it hasn't then it's time to erase it or freeze it . So Mike ,you don't need my permission but you have it. Cheers
Old 17-01-10, 07:23 PM

B and S,
I agree with Mike,dont worry about it,(you can put away your service revolver ),I have sold a number of items at the asking price on the Forum so presumably my asking prices were reasonable, other items have remained unsold, so perhaps I was being greedy- who can say.

What I would say is that many of us have come to regard the Forum as an important part of our hobby and I suspect that must be quite a cost to Mike in providing it ( i.e The Forum ). I would be quite happy to pay a fee to the Forum when I sell an item on it to help defray costs as I am sure many others would.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 17-01-10, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

A point to consider is that even though there are over 2000 members registered on the Forum, we are still not in the league of internet auctions. The actual number of people who come to the forum regularly is far less than the number of members, and even fewer of that number view the Classifieds.
Old 17-01-10, 09:12 PM

I agree with a lot thats been said, and moderators please feel free to skip this if it causes offence, but:

There are a couple of sellers, such as one seller..... removed (just the first one I can see in the classifieds), that appear to be just taking the p*$$. He has listed items in excess of a £1000 plus overall.... yet he has only 4 posts.... sorry seems a few too few to me. TBH I think that the amount of posts to become a seller should be in league with other forums that I frequent, whom require 100 decent (i.e. no "+1" junk) posts.

Sorry my 2 cents, the people I have chosen to deal with have been absolutely great, and beyond reproach.

Tom
Old 18-01-10, 12:41 PM

A few comments:

I took Ray's (Boots) initial comments to be geared more towards the 'spirit' of the forum as a group of like-minded individuals... As such, it would be nice if prices were of the 'between friends' rather than a dealer-collector relationship...especially when we aren't even charged to use the forum or classifieds. I think it's only right to not expect absolute top whack on here for the most part, and I think even a modest discount from dealer prices would be viewed as a positive thing by the membership. However, I accept that, when money is involved, some people tend to get a bit silly about things...which probably explains some of the immature reactions in this thread.

For me, at the end of the day, my collection is just 'stuff' that I can live without just fine if I have to. If I don't squeeze every single penny from every sale when I choose to sell my collection, I am not overly worried...but perhaps I take a more relaxed view of the hobby than some. I'd rather it give me pleasure than stress and anxiety linked to the financial aspect. I worry that some forget that a hobby is supposed to be a fun and enjoyable pass time.

I agree with Tom that there are far too many leeches on here and that firmer rules are required with regards to the classifieds...but have said this previously to no effect. I have a lot of nice badges I would like to sell on but I won't be listing them here for these reasons.
Old 18-01-10, 12:59 PM

Hi Adam,

Please define " immature reactions " and also please explain why, if you agree with Ray, that selling to forum members should be beneficial to said members, you won't use the ' sales ' facility yourself, I'm just curious because I had, on my part, drawn a line under this thread ??

Regards.

Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 18-01-10 at 03:01 PM.
Old 18-01-10, 05:43 PM

As I stated in my earlier thread, I don't agree with the rules governing the sales so choose not to sell via the forum. I think it has the potential to be a great venue to add to one's collection but I would like to see some more structure and regulation before I'm prepared to use it.

For the record, I don't sell elsewhere either. I haven't sold a badge or medal in years.
Old 18-01-10, 06:03 PM

Hello again Adam,

Have you perhaps, thought of trying to create a ' swap ' page somewhere, after all, the usual reason for me selling is to buy particular badges that I want ??

You said earlier that you have a lot of nice badges that you would like to sell on but do you still want to collect ??

Regards.

Dave.
Old 18-01-10, 07:42 PM

I used to have a website selling medals, many years ago now...

I've toyed with the idea of doing something similar as a venue to sell/swop medals and badges but haven't the time to devote to it. Perhaps down the road I will do so.

I have narrow collecting interests but over the years have accumulated a lot of extras through buying badge and medal lots in auctions, as well as through trades etc. Although they are nice items, they are not of primary interest to me...thus my small hoard of nice items to sell or trade. The problem is there aren't too many badges I am looking for so trades aren't so easy to come by.

Always looking for nice badges to the 5th Royal Scots of Canada, 5th Royal Highlanders of Canada, Black Watch (RHR) of Canada, and the Canadian Intelligence Corps! Who's hiding all the nice ones I don't yet have!?
Old 18-01-10, 11:59 PM

Although I don't sell a lot of items and have in the past traded badges with dealers and collectors alike in transactions in lieu of cash. I don't usually have spares.

The badge I have posted here is slightly less than for what I paid for the upgrade in which I paid more plus shipping which I didn't tag onto this badge. I ain't in this to make money or gouge anybody! I don't usually find what I am looking for on this forum in the first place!

I am now just starting to contribute to the CEF gallery some of the RARER CEF BADGES for everyone to see!

As for British badge which I know very little about just that their is a alot of repros out there and prices are quite different in relation to CEF badges which I consider myself very well versed in!

If this forum wants to put a user fee on members who use the classifieds so be it! Its alot better than paying all the ebay fees and paypal fees. Plus I don't mind supporting this excellent forum anyways you should pay something for the wealth of information availible here!

Carry On!
Old 19-01-10, 04:27 AM

I think sometimes being humble is called for, I also think you need to speak your questions about things you do not know or fully understand. That this is the nicest thing about forums. We share, We respect, We help, and some sell or swap. Me I'm sponge, and has I believe I said I don't know fair market values as everyone is different. I went to a show a got what I believe was as good a badge the dealer was selling 25% higher. Then crossed the floor and picked up two badges at lower prices than the table I was just at . I shared,(cash) we respect,(the knowledge people in the forum) we respect the rookie we help (one another) WE COLLECT (that we have an unique connection to each other)
Old 20-01-10, 11:29 AM

I believe this thread has finally run it's course so I have no intention to ' rake over the coals ', so to speak.

In one of my posts, I brought up the generosity of some of the forum members, particularly to myself, that generosity has again been afforded to me, this time from ' orasot ', thanks Wilf, you are a gentleman.

The present I have just received ( described as being a gift from Santa but late !! ), is the first I have ever seen ( I know about the Hussars but didn't know about the Yeomanry ) and you are right, it will take some pairing, the fact that you thought of me is quite humbling, a sure sign that we shouldn't argue among ourselves so often and that we should enjoy more the hobby we have chosen, how do I repay you, I certainly owe you one............................................... .........

Grateful thanks.

Dave.........................................photo shown.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1h 041.jpg (71.6 KB, 16 views)