British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-03-19, 04:34 PM

Provenance is everything, clearly it becomes very important with modern badges, I would much rather have a badge that was actually worn by a serving member of a particular regiment on duty, than one that was not.

[QUOTE=altcar73;471684]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I would be of the opinion that any badge worn by a serving member of any regiment, whilst on duty, in uniform, is actually an original badge, notwithstanding where the serving member obtained it.

That is an interesting viewpoint to take. So, if someone buys a poorly made repro. badge off the internet and wears it on his cap/beret, and I'm sure its been done many times, that becomes an "original" badge. Mmmmm.... I'm not sure I'd go along with that, but then we are all entitled to our opinion and viewpoint on these matters.

Dave.

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 10-03-19 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-03-19, 05:24 PM
jamesmilitaria

17/21L were in the next door to us in Munster during the mid 80s and I'm pretty sure that they wore AA mottos. Then in 89/90 at the training squadron in Catterick 17/21L recruits were definately issued with AA mottos.
Old 10-03-19, 05:42 PM

More info titbits to take note of.
Old 10-03-19, 10:45 PM

Thanks to all so far for a stimulating and informative set of posts. Very pleasing to see the level of interest one small question can provoke!
Old 11-03-19, 03:05 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi Bess

Thanks for the info on the Shaw Munster logo, I will note this down for future reference.

Regards Phil.
Old 11-03-19, 09:20 AM

Default motto

Frank couldn't agree more I still have my old very worn and repaired motto and always will have.

Mac
Old 11-03-19, 12:08 PM

Gents, with regards to the 'new metal' motto for QRL, I have a spare belt plate Motto - badge (small flat lugs north and south). I'm happy to let it go, don't want a great deal for it. Any takers, please feel free to PM me.

Regards all

Bess
Old 11-03-19, 03:06 PM

I served in the Scots DG, we wore anodised on our No2 dress caps up to S/Sgt, on our berets we had to buy a bi metal badge, and had to buff it down and take all the beautiful detail off, just enough so you could just make out the feathers on the wings and read the Waterloo tablet, the officers had to do the same on their sil/gilt ones!
Old 11-03-19, 03:26 PM

And a thanks for that detail - I knew about the ORs badges being rubbed smooth but not about the officer's silver and gilt or the anod al being worn on the cap, the bimetal on the beret.
Which period was this please?
Old 11-03-19, 03:57 PM

My Dad was ex Carbs, and was Scots DG on amalgamation, he says from early 70's, so from then til present day!
Old 11-03-19, 04:00 PM

Ta.
As I recall, "British Army Badges" by Lt Col R Hodges makes mention of the badges having the breast feathers and wreath rubbed smooth.
Old 12-03-19, 01:28 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Gents, with regards to the 'new metal' motto for QRL, I have a spare belt plate Motto - badge (small flat lugs north and south). I'm happy to let it go, don't want a great deal for it. Any takers, please feel free to PM me.

Regards all

Bess
Hi Bess

Pm sent. Regards Phil.
Old 12-03-19, 07:26 AM

Well, how is "original" defined, if you wore it on duty, then I take the view it joins all the others in being original, in that it was worn by you whilst a serving member of the regiment concerned, no matter from where you got hold if it from, I dare say others were doing the same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac mcconnell View Post
Frank couldn't agree more I still have my old very worn and repaired motto and always will have.

Mac
Old 12-03-19, 08:16 AM

I put my modern modernish badges into two categories,

Issued, as in badges issued from stores, has an NSN etc.

Unofficial but worn, like for instance, putting this kind of back on track from the original topic, when I was in JLR 88/89 in Bovington, we took a visit to the tank museum, while in the shop the full screw who was badged 17/21st told our two guys who were going to 17/21st after JLR to buy the white metal motto that was on sale there, this they did and polished them to a shine.
I bumped into one of these guys a few years later and asked about his motto, he said it was the original motto he bought in the museum!
I too bought one of these mottos on the same day for my collection. I can send a photo at some point if you like?
I also have a couple of chrome mottos if you would like to have photos of those also?
Oh and I also bought an RTR white metal as the RTR guys got them from there also, so unofficial but worn.
Hope this helps
Old 12-03-19, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

I met 3 Tprs from the QRL in Salisbury a few years ago. One had a w/m motto, one a blackened one and one had the NCOs arm badge design on his beret. They, like the 17/21, were a very un-uniformed regiment compared to the diktats of others.