British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-03-19, 03:53 PM

Default East Yorkshire Cyclist?

Sirs, this badge was removed from a trophy belt that hung over a fireplace for a number of years,thus the unique horrid patina. I realize that it is not a very good example. My question, is the black obverse indicative of the cyclist battalion or just grime? Would the cyclist badge be blackened on both the front and back?
I have performed a slight scrub with just water and a soft toothbrush. The reverse has a braze hole. While horrid do you deem it to be authentic?
Thank you
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 566DAD47-98D8-4B59-BB2C-B25099E78FD9.jpg (96.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg D209D3D2-D9B4-4628-B97A-4E63FCC0582E.jpg (96.3 KB, 77 views)
Old 07-03-19, 05:03 PM

Mike,
I’d go with grime/soot. If the badge was originally blackened it’d be evident on the slider. To me the slider looks just heavily tarnished. As for original, I can’t see any problems with it.
Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 07-03-19 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Correcting autocorrect
Old 07-03-19, 05:09 PM

Thank you very much Luke. Nothing on the back indicates blackened, including the slider. Just tarnished.

Mike

Last edited by mike ross; 07-03-19 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 07-03-19, 08:44 PM

I certainly would not describe it as horrid, I think it is actually a very nice badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike ross View Post
Sirs, this badge was removed from a trophy belt that hung over a fireplace for a number of years,thus the unique horrid patina. I realize that it is not a very good example. My question, is the black obverse indicative of the cyclist battalion or just grime? Would the cyclist badge be blackened on both the front and back?
I have performed a slight scrub with just water and a soft toothbrush. The reverse has a braze hole. While horrid do you deem it to be authentic?
Thank you
Mike
Old 07-03-19, 09:04 PM

Thank you Frank. There were about 7 badges that I purchased from the guy that split up the belt. Some were just nasty. Your opinion gives me a different perspective on this badge.
Mike
Old 07-03-19, 09:27 PM

Mike,
beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this IS a beautiful badge. The patina is FANTASTIC! Definitely not a cyclists badge though, the black paint is unmistakable. A very nice example, thanks for showing us.
If you have any other horrid badges like this let me know and i will suitably dispose of them!
Cheers, Dave
Old 07-03-19, 10:27 PM

Dave, thank you very much, and I mean that, thank you very much. Normally I prefer historical items that exhibit a patina and show age. In this case, I totally misread the ‘black’obverse. Do you think the dark brown is just extreme patina?
And Dave the next horrid badge will be sent to you for disposal, ha.
Thank you again.
Mike
Old 08-03-19, 12:06 AM

I don't think a 5th Bn badge would have a white metal rose. As far as I know it was fully gilding metal. Always good to have a braze hole with the standard East Yorks badge. Regards, Paul. PS Anyone happen to have a 5th Bn. badge to show?

Last edited by wardog; 08-03-19 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-03-19, 12:29 AM

Thank you Paul
Mike