British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-06-15, 12:16 PM

Default Badge Maker/Retailer: Wilson & Sharp Ltd

Hello all,

In going through my badges I've noticed one (Black Watch Officer/SNCO) that is nicely made and has a small tablet on the back which reads: "Wilson & Sharp Edinburgh". I haven't been able to find any threads on this site mentioning them. I've googled them using different wording, and tried to do some research but there does not seem to be much info online about them. Most of the references are for non military items (found 1 or 2 other badges made by them - both Scottish regiment officers' pieces).

I'm wondering if anyone may be able to offer some more info on this maker? I'm guessing they didn't make very many badges and they must be thin on the ground?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Adam
Old 18-06-15, 12:31 PM

Hi Adam,
A lot of Jewellers would make badges and other accroutments for private purchase mainly by Officers, the image shows an advert for their services and although it does not state anything military I am sure they would not turn away a commission to do a badge or other for that purpose.
Paul
Old 18-06-15, 12:32 PM

Said advert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 18-06-15, 01:22 PM

Paul,

Thanks for your posts. Yes, I'm familiar with jewellers making officers' badges as well as sweethearts and the like. However, this particular jeweller seems to have been rather a minor player in the badge market as I've been unable to spot more than couple of badges made by them.

Does anyone here have badge(s) made by Wilson & Sharp? I'd love to compare photos of their maker's mark with that on mine.

I'll try to get some photos on here shortly.

Adam
Old 18-06-15, 02:44 PM

I was under the impression such plaques on Scottish badges in particular, were those of the retailer rather than the maker.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 18-06-15, 04:58 PM

Simon,
On their particular advert they do state 'Made to Order and Sole Makers.'
Paul
Old 18-06-15, 06:01 PM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
Simon,
On their particular advert they do state 'Made to Order and Sole Makers.'
Paul
Simon/Paul,

I'm not saying for sure that jeweller in question did not make the actual badge, but I'm a little sceptical particularly as the jeweller appears not to have provided many military items as there is a lot of work, expenses and effort to produce any cap badge, let alone a top quality officers example which as a one off would have to be hand cut and produced very much as a piece of jewellery would be, and of course match the laid down pattern for the badge in order to be acceptable by the purchaser and unit he served in.

It will be interesting to see pictures of the actual badge in order to determine its construction, quality and how it compares with like badges produced by other makers.

Regards,

Marcus
Old 18-06-15, 07:12 PM

The company do appear to have made a wide variety of items over a long period of time:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1928-SCOTT...item19f930f878

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilson-and...item3cfc35dcc2

These being a couple of examples.

One thinks of the name Elkingtons who are not one of the first names that spring to mind when thinking of badge makers but who came up trumps when there was a demand for a lot of badges to be made quickly.
P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 18-06-15 at 07:31 PM.
Old 19-06-15, 07:33 AM

Good morning all,

A little more information regarding Wilson & Sharp:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewto...p=80486#p80486

Trev.
Old 19-06-15, 12:15 PM

Here are some photos. I didn't have my proper camera equipment handy so had to resort to a phone camera. Used a loupe to get the macro shot of the "Wilson & Sharp Ltd" tablet (a handy trick if you don't have a macro lens...) Sorry the photos aren't the best and don't do this lovely (albeit slightly grubby - I am not one to usually clean badges...) badge justice. It's nicer in hand and has a lot of character.

I await your comments...

Adam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BW1.jpg (106.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 19-06-15, 12:16 PM

Reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BW2.jpg (86.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 19-06-15, 12:17 PM

Tablet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BW3.jpg (50.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 21-06-15, 02:29 PM

Adam,

I cannot see anyone going to the trouble to add a spurious makers label to a badge like this one, to me that would suggest that the badge was in fact made by the company.

I seem to recall a regimental dirk to the Liverpool Scottish being sold at auction that was made by a Liverpool Jeweller so not unknown for Jewellers to be given one off commissions.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”