British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > The Royal Australian Navy and Air Force (RAN & RAAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-10-09, 03:15 PM

Default RAN Slouch hat

Hi, Does anyone on here have an image of the RAN wearing slouch hats? Have in the past seen pictures and news/documentary footage of the RAN where they were wearing blue slouch hats. can anyone tell me what sort of cap badge was worn on theses hats and were they worn by everyone or just officers?

Regards Tony
Old 08-10-09, 01:40 PM

On page 70 of his book his book, THE AUSTRALIAN ARMY SLOUCH HAT AND RISING SUN BADGE, Rick Grebert says:
"SLOUCH HATS ON THE NAVY.

Members of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) have worn the khaki slouch hat since 1992 (same as khaki Army slouch hat). It is worn with a navy blue pugaree with seven pleats and a RAN badge. The hat was introduced for sun protection as part of an Occupational Health and Safety program. The brim is turned down and the hat is only worn with "work dress". During World War 11, members of the RAN often wore slouch hats when ashore, including in New Guinea. They wore the brim flat. Officers and Petty Officers wore their cap band for a pugaree, with their appropriate badge on the front of the hat. The junior ranks wore their tally bands for pugarees."

Donny B.
Old 11-10-09, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny B. View Post
On page 70 of his book his book, THE AUSTRALIAN ARMY SLOUCH HAT AND RISING SUN BADGE, Rick Grebert says:
"SLOUCH HATS ON THE NAVY.

Members of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) have worn the khaki slouch hat since 1992 (same as khaki Army slouch hat). It is worn with a navy blue pugaree with seven pleats and a RAN badge. The hat was introduced for sun protection as part of an Occupational Health and Safety program. The brim is turned down and the hat is only worn with "work dress". During World War 11, members of the RAN often wore slouch hats when ashore, including in New Guinea. They wore the brim flat. Officers and Petty Officers wore their cap band for a pugaree, with their appropriate badge on the front of the hat. The junior ranks wore their tally bands for pugarees."

Donny B.
Thanks for that, thats really useful! Did/do the RAN wear the rising sun Australian Military forces badge on the slouch hat also?

Regards Tony
Old 17-10-09, 10:17 AM

I don't know the answer to that. You need one of the experts. If I was to take a guess I would say that I expect "no" but my expertise is limited to that quote from Rick Grebert's book.

Hopefully someone will respond with the correct information but I have noticed that the chatter on the Australian section seems to be a bit slow of late.

Donny
Old 11-12-10, 11:24 AM

Default One year later ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Hi, Does anyone on here have an image of the RAN wearing slouch hats? Have in the past seen pictures and news/documentary footage of the RAN where they were wearing blue slouch hats. can anyone tell me what sort of cap badge was worn on theses hats and were they worn by everyone or just officers?

Regards Tony
hi all

hope that it is never too late for an illustration ???
(this hat was on sale in august 2008)

all the best ...
a+
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Australian Naval slouch hat.jpeg (12.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-02-13, 08:38 AM

Smile

Here is a slouch hat I bought today. Akubra is dated 1992.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sh 001.jpg (54.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg sh 002.jpg (56.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 23-06-14, 04:35 AM

Hey, the navy 'Slouch Hats' are called, Navy Akubra's. The hat is worn with the sides down (as seen in the images above). The only badge worn is that of the rank (Officers cap badge for officers, Warrant Officers Cap badge for Warranters Officers, Chief with Chiefs badge, Petty Officers with Petty Officers badge and Leading/Able Seaman & Seaman with the blue Junior sailors badge. No unit badges or army badge are worn on the hat.

The badges worn are the same as on the berets, all metal but with legs as opposed to pin backs. Gold braid is not worn on the hats. I don't wear mine too often, but they are good sturdy hats.