British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-01-18, 01:28 PM
Banned

Default SAAF Photographer

I have been told this is an SAAF photographer badge, can anyone confirm?

The construction is right for WW2 period, and I am supposing the prop signifies Leading Aircraftman rank. Would this be LAC photographer, or something else such as a flying photographer or more specifically a ground photographer?

Years ago I saw a lot of an RAF bod who trained in South Africa. It included (if I recall) a 'AP' half wing as he had trained as a photographer. There was a photo of him wearing it and another of him wearing a standard 'O' wing, which he was ordered to put up once he returned to the UK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180131_125635.jpg (55.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 31-01-18, 02:29 PM

Hi,
I have the same badge as was also informed it was SAAF photographer, but have not been able to confirm as to who wore this. It is however similar in design to other SAWAAF badges I have seen, so it may well be a SAWAAF photographer badge.

Steven
Old 31-01-18, 04:25 PM
Banned

Thanks for that Steven, it's something else to think of. Did the SA WAAF have many badges unique to them (outside cap and collar badges)?

There just seems to be so little out there, it's almost like having to put the info together a badge at a time!

I did see a lovely clerks badge, a pinkish quill on a similar backing to this one and tried to buy it only for the seller to say he'd lost It! But I did learn of two other similar - telephone operator and driver (with a telephone and truck respectively).
Old 01-02-18, 03:06 AM

Your list of SA WAAF badges is same as I am aware of. As far as I am aware they are all unofficial and pretty hard to come by. I have also never seen any of these been worn on a uniform. Unfortunately information is rather scarce on the uniforms and insignia of the SA women's services during WWII.

Steven
Old 01-02-18, 11:21 AM
Banned

Steven

Were those badges I mentioned peculiar to the WAAFS then rather than the SAAF as a whole?

I have images of those three and can post them if you like?

Last edited by SAS1; 01-02-18 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 11:59 AM

I believe they were exclusive WAAF usage. I too have the images filed away somewhere but you may like to post for the benefit of others.

Steven