British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-07-18, 09:37 AM

Default Armoured Fake LRDG Badge

Prospective buyers beware of a fake LRDG badge described as original, with a price tag to match, shown for sale in the September edition of the Armourer magazine.

I have contacted the editor of the magazine and will post any reply.

Enjoy the hobby, Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (45.5 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by popskipa; 27-07-18 at 09:59 AM.
Old 27-07-18, 09:52 AM

The relevant text...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (45.4 KB, 110 views)
Old 27-07-18, 10:35 AM

Correspondence from Duncan Evans, the editor of Armourer magazine:

Hello Keith,

Thank you for bring this to my attention. I shall pass this on to the author of the article, Lenny Warren, for his comments. Fakes are a blight on our industry and should be exposed. Can you give me more details on what gives this away as a fake?

Duncan Evans
Editor
The Armourer
Inc. Classic Arms & Militaria*

My reply:

The design and detail of this fake LRDG is completely wrong. There are several patterns of original LRDG badges. All the originals have finer detail to the scorpion, its back, legs and tail, see also the detail in the letters LRDG.

Image of an original attached for comparison.

Thanks Keith,

I’m still waiting to hear back from Lenny but I will put something in the Letters page next month to let everyone know.

Many thanks,

Duncan

My Footnote- having visited the Hearts & Daggers website the fake LRDG badge is listed as sold. It appears someone has been ripped off to the tune of £475.00
Old 27-07-18, 01:22 PM

Even a novice like myself could spot that fake. I have brought from that dealer before, and have had no problems though.
Andy
Old 27-07-18, 02:44 PM

Cool Fake LRDG

I would have thought that anyone who is involved with Militaria sales especially badges and other insignia and writing about it would have had a look on a regular basis at this site.

Keith has been very vigilant regarding LRDG badges and it's not a secret as to what is wrong with the fakes, it's been made clear and yet fakes still get through with glowing text beside them.

There was a superb article on a LRDG vehicle found in the sands of the desert with lots of great photos and storyline in "Britain at War" mag last month which in my opinion was spoiled by a dud badge given prominence, why can't they get an illustration of an original badge from one of the contributors?

Rob
Old 27-07-18, 03:27 PM

More from The Armourer editor:

Hi Keith,

Just to confirm, I’ve had someone else verify this badge and they concur that it’s a fake as well. The magazine isn’t on sale yet, so it’s unlikely that one of our subscribers rushed out and bought it. I will post the warning in the Letters page in case the original buyer sees it, or it is returned to the dealer at some point, and offered for sale again.

Many thanks,

Duncan

My reply:

Hello Duncan,

I glad you got a second opinion, but I would not have contacted you if there was any doubt.

It may be worthwhile mentioning in the letters page that it is always advisable, if you are not 100% certain, to get the opinions of others before buying an expensive or rare badge and forums such as the British and Commonwealth Military Badge forum has a wealth of knowledgeable collectors and is the ideal place to get advice and a second opinion.

As seller advertises in the Armourer magazine it may be prudent for you to contact them and advise them to contact the buyer and give a refund? But I leave that with you, I have done my bit posted on the forum and advised you of the deception/fraudulent sale.

Regards, Keith
Old 27-07-18, 06:58 PM

£475!
Although, to see it in The Armourer as original, is both disturbing and unfortunate, it does absolutely nothing for the publication.
Old 28-07-18, 12:05 AM

The Armourer has always been a waste of time! It’s a coffee table publication.

Real collectors subscribe to Classic Arms & Militaria! Check it out!
Old 28-07-18, 08:23 AM

The dealer has the same fake badge on his website, that has been sold.
Andy
Old 28-07-18, 04:07 PM

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd chip in as I wrote the original column.

The "Militaria For Sale" column is written by myself, as a freelance contributor so the fault is totally mine, not the fault of the Armourer mag.

I'm not a badge collector, and at first look it appeared correct construction to me, however in hindsight I now accept that it is in fact a repro, not meeting the construction methods of the original. I don't know the dealer in question, so I can't comment on his knowledge of these badges.

The badge was sold before the column was published, so the buyer didn't purchase it on the strength of the article, however still not good that someone has purchased a repro for a large sum of money. The dealer has an originality guarantee, so I'd suggest he returns it for a refund.

I've written this column for about 18 months or so and it's main purpose is to show a varied selection of militaria available on the internet. Due to the huge variety of militaria featured it's impossible to be an expert on every area of collecting. Apologies if it slipped through the net, wasn't done on purpose obviously.

Kind regards,
Lenny

https://www.themilitaria.shop/
Old 28-07-18, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
The Armourer has always been a waste of time! It’s a coffee table publication.

Real collectors subscribe to Classic Arms & Militaria! Check it out!
I've read it since more or less the begining, it had stagnated for a few years but the recent revamp has made it a much better magazine. Definitely worth a look...

As for "Classic Arms & Militaria", it merged with the Armourer over a year ago...
Old 01-09-18, 08:48 AM

A response in the Letters Page of October 2018 Armourer...

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (30.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 01-09-18, 09:09 AM

Well done Kieth good job! a lot of money for a duff badge!
Old 01-09-18, 09:13 AM

Well done Keith,

It does make you wonder why they sent 'Lenny' to report on this in the first place if 'this is not his area of expertise'. If I were the Editor of such a magazine I would certainly want to ensure that what I sent for publishing was correct.

Simon.
Old 01-09-18, 02:47 PM

I wonder who the "badge expert" is, that was subsequently consulted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by popskipa View Post
A response in the Letters Page of October 2018 Armourer...

Keith