British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-10-22, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Any differences are solely manufacturers variations with the exception of the plastic (bakelite) one, which is unique to WW2 and it's maker.
I believe all WW2 economy 'plastic' badges were made of cellulose acetate NOT Bakelite, which is a completely different material. Obviously will be happy to be proved wrong.
Old 07-10-22, 12:28 PM

Yes, sorry, I had mistakenly termed WW1 for the RM badges in haste.

CB
Old 07-10-22, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwe23 View Post
Hi Frank, so all of the badges that I posted on #1 are WW2 and not WW1 ?
The responses answer your question elwe23 - in short - design changed circa 1923 after merger of the Royal Marine Artillery and Royal Marine Light Infantry. The site Mike Vee draws attention to explains previous designs and I think is the 'go to' site for many RM collectors on this forum. I learn something new each time I read many forum threads including this one -
Old 07-10-22, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
Don't use the slider version on a beret. Of course any of the badges could have been put on a ww2 beret, Any RM cap badge with posts made from 1923-1944 could have been used (except the slider) but IMO the large flat crown badges were ww2. If you have other opinions thats fine. Your choice.
As i said...... IMO.
Interesting Irv - must admit the slider version must be far less common - had not realised it would not be worn in beret. Assume worn in Blues peaked cap? unless someone lost a beret badge and slipped one in to avoid a charge?
Old 08-10-22, 01:53 PM

Hi Mike,
I think they used sliders on pith helmets. Never seen a slider used on a RM beret. No slider pocket just the two holes for the posts. Even the peaked caps use posts.
There is a very good thread on this side about berets that will give you better info than I can.
In fact if you see a green beret that takes a slider I would say it was fake or a post war mock up.
A very nice 1944 RM green beret showing the two post holes sold on EBay last night for £845! A lot of bidders knew what it was, and that it was a right one.
Regards
Irv?
Old 09-10-22, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
Hi Mike,
I think they used sliders on pith helmets. Never seen a slider used on a RM beret. No slider pocket just the two holes for the posts. Even the peaked caps use posts.
There is a very good thread on this side about berets that will give you better info than I can.
In fact if you see a green beret that takes a slider I would say it was fake or a post war mock up.
A very nice 1944 RM green beret showing the two post holes sold on EBay last night for £845! A lot of bidders knew what it was, and that it was a right one.
Regards
Irv?
Thanks Irv - yes Steve's beret thread is very useful.
Just that I have a few berets without holes for lugs or pocket for slider - mind you - mainly WW2, which of course is correct for that period at least.
All the best
Mike