British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-09-22, 08:55 PM

Default HM SUBMARINES AND HM DESTROYER

Dear Folks
Any light about these 2 gold wire thread tallies, possible WW2 without full stops???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20220926-WA0055.jpg (28.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 27-09-22, 06:15 PM

Reverse pics from these 2 tallies with metal thread letters... Are WW2 period and what should be a good pricing for the set???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20220927-WA0029.jpg (29.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 28-09-22, 05:51 AM

The H.M. DESTROYER tally was not an official issue item and was available through Naval outfitters. It dates from WW2.

The H.M. SUBMARINES tally is definitely past WW2 and probably dates from the 1960's.

Both tallies are relatively common and a search of the internet will give you a ballpark figure if you wanted to sell.

Andrew
Old 05-10-22, 05:28 PM

Out of interest, I was under the impression that HM Submarines was worn in WW2, what is the difference between those and later examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
The H.M. DESTROYER tally was not an official issue item and was available through Naval outfitters. It dates from WW2.

The H.M. SUBMARINES tally is definitely past WW2 and probably dates from the 1960's.

Both tallies are relatively common and a search of the internet will give you a ballpark figure if you wanted to sell.

Andrew
Old 05-10-22, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Out of interest, I was under the impression that HM Submarines was worn in WW2, what is the difference between those and later examples?
H.M. SUBMARINES. was worn from before the outbreak, during and after the the end of hostilities. You will also find submariners wearing H.M.S. ribbons (tallies) during the war. In the late 1940's you will also find H.M. SUBMARINE ribbons worn and these are always embroidered in yellow silk, not gold wire.

As a rule, if you have a Submarines tally with a full stop, it dates from before, during or after WW2. Gold wire with no full stop (dot) and it will date from the late 1950's up until about 1974, when materials that where used in the manufacture changed. So, here we go again.... the subject of Royal Navy Cap Ribbons is a complex subject, which I have studied for about four (4) decades now. I have made many posts to explain the complexity of the subject of the significance of the "dot" at the end of the the lettering of a tally and the periods concerned.

l11-velasco, you are more than welcome.
Old 05-10-22, 08:25 PM

Quote:
H.M. SUBMARINES. was worn from before the outbreak, during and after the the end of hostilities. You will also find submariners wearing H.M.S. ribbons (tallies) during the war. In the late 1940's you will also find H.M. SUBMARINE ribbons worn and these are always embroidered in yellow silk, not gold wire.

As a rule, if you have a Submarines tally with a full stop, it dates from before, during or after WW2. Gold wire with no full stop (dot) and it will date from the late 1950's up until about 1974, when materials that where used in the manufacture changed. So, here we go again.... the subject of Royal Navy Cap Ribbons is a complex subject, which I have studied for about four (4) decades now. I have made many posts to explain the complexity of the subject of the significance of the "dot" at the end of the the lettering of a tally and the periods concerned.

Very kind from you Sir
Old 06-10-22, 09:25 AM

Thank you very much, so no full stop after the word Submarines and it can only be post war, that is very good to know, many thanks again.

Quote: