British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-02-15, 03:24 PM
E-squadron

Default Firmin & Gaunt maker info wanted

Guys, does anyone have addresses for the above insignia makers for the period 1947-57?.

Thanks in advance

Andy,
Old 16-02-15, 08:49 PM
E-squadron

Bumpity bump
Old 16-02-15, 09:36 PM

They are indeed the problem years ! There is data for both G and F for up to about 1930. G info is at NAM and BMAG; F still retain their archives - though there's a bit at Westminster Borough archives. There's also a lot of info for wartime badges in the Ministry of Supply records at TNA which go up to 1946.
And on and on and on .......

Last edited by KLR; 17-02-15 at 07:31 AM.
Old 16-02-15, 11:29 PM
E-squadron

Thank ye kindly KLR, all references duly noted

Now, who thinks it's bloody unfair that all these fantastic centres of research are mostly in London!!!?.... why they weren't placed more centrally, Leeds or Manchester perhaps, is beyond me

Andy
Old 17-02-15, 07:31 AM

BMAG = Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery. B'ham archives dept in the new library there has quite a lot too.
G archives (in L and in B) include archives of companies they bought ie B&P and Jennens.
The Royal Armoury in Leeds holds a complete set of Lists of Changes - and I think PVCN, CCN etc (but they don't have much on makers)
Old 17-02-15, 08:22 PM
E-squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
BMAG = Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery. B'ham archives dept in the new library there has quite a lot too. G archives (in L and in B) include archives of companies they bought ie B&P and Jennens.
The Royal Armoury in Leeds holds a complete set of Lists of Changes - and I think PVCN, CCN etc (but they don't have much on makers)
Thanks again fella

I made a point about mentioning the situating of the big research centres in London mainly because that's where so much of the stuff I want is located. Still, good to hear they don't have it all down there

Andy
Old 17-02-15, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-squadron View Post
Thanks again fella

I made a point about mentioning the situating of the big research centres in London mainly because that's where so much of the stuff I want is located.

Andy
Its worse when you are on the other side of the Atlantic.
Old 17-02-15, 11:46 PM
E-squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Its worse when you are on the other side of the Atlantic.
I'm sure it is fella.... wish the NA, IWM and NAM would hurry up and digitise everything and put it online!

Andy
Old 18-02-15, 08:34 PM

Default Firmin & Sons Ltd and J. R. Gaunt & Son Ltd addresses

Hello Andy

As your initial posting asked for the ‘addresses’ of Gaunts and Firmins, I’ve had a quick look at two trade directories for you, these being Kelly’s Directory of Birmingham (with its suburbs) and Smethwick for 1949 and Kelly’s Directory of Birmingham and Smethwick for 1957. According to the first of these Firmin & Sons Ltd had their factory at Globe Works, Villa Street, Birmingham, with their “head office” at 8 Cork Street in London, whereas the 1957 Directory only gives the Birmingham works’ address. J. R. Gaunt & Son Ltd, on the other hand, are listed with both their factory at Warstone Parade East, Birmingham, and their London outlet at 5 Warwick Street, in the 1949 & 1957 Directories. Anyhow, this is how the entries for both companies appear in the ‘Trades’ section under the heading of ‘Button Makers’ in the 1949 one:

For information the various symbols at the beginning of each entry denote the kinds of buttons produced: “e” stands for “Erinoid”, “¶” means “Gilt”, “†”means “Horn & Bone”, “ǀǀ” is “Metal” and “c” stands for “Military”. In any event, hope the above is of help?

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 18-02-15 at 08:45 PM.
Old 18-02-15, 08:53 PM
E-squadron

Thanks Martin, that's very helpful I would think it's safe to assume that even though both Companies are listed as button makers in the trade directories, other items were also produced in the same factories.

Appreciate your input

Andy.

Tags
firmin, j r gaunt