British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-10-08, 08:58 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default Dress uniforms.

Were soldiers of WW2 issued with a dress uniform or did they have to buy it themselves? Second question. Was the custom of getting the battledress customized frowned upon? It seems a lot of them were changed,I have some which have many pleats added.
Old 29-10-08, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Ray, Dress uniforms were not issued in WW2. The standard issue uniform was the battledress. Most soldiers had a couple of sets. The scale of issue / clothing card indicates how many sets each soldier was allowed.
Most soldiers modified their best battledress. The nature of the modification was sometimes an issue. For example, opening the collar was definitely frowned upon for the other ranks until later in the war.
Old 30-10-08, 12:57 AM

They weren't issued but were they available, I mean the ones with the Regimental or GS brass buttons on the outside. I know Officers wore them but I imagine they bought them. Ray
Old 30-10-08, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Ray, Do you mean service dress or dress uniforms?
Old 30-10-08, 11:12 PM

Bill I was thinking about the Khaki jacket that didn't have a belt like the Battledress but was longer with flap pockets (i believe) & had a belt around the waist , Nicer materioal also. The Air Force had them also but they were blue & I don't know if they had to buy them or not because they had the battle dress also, but blue of course.. I didn't mean the coloured type Regimental dress with the stripe down the leg. They all had their different colours. What are these called? Stewart had them all listed in his book. Concise linages etc.
Old 30-10-08, 11:39 PM

Hello Bill and Ray. I think what Ray is referring to is the "Walking out" uniform that came out in 1942.It was called the Service Dress Jacket, it was patterned like the RCAF 4-pockets Service Dress but in Khaki, and had an attached cloth belt of the same material.It was issued to troops in Canada only.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 30-10-08, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

JO, With "nicer" material, Ray is referring to the officer's service dress uniform, as worn by many officers and rsm's. The service dress that you refer to Jo was a tunic only issued and worn in Canada to the best of my knowledge. It was made of a coarser material than the officers service dress. These were issue while the osd was purchased. They were not popular, and are seldom seen today.
Old 31-10-08, 01:12 AM

Ho! OK I get it. Did not notice the "nicer material" which in this case could be Barathea?
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 31-10-08, 08:26 PM

hello ray,i am not sure if what you are looking for is the 1922 patten service dress (i think thats right,have to check up) it was a third pattern i think of that used during W.W.1 i have seen pictures of troops wearing this along side those in battle dress, but whether it was fased out as the bd came in im not entirely sure but i have one of the rifle brigade wiyh buttons issued oct 1939 so was in use then. ian
Old 31-10-08, 08:41 PM

Ray, If you are referring to the Canadian Other Rank's Service Dress worn during the Second World War, some information can be had here:
http://mpmuseum.org/provostservice2.html
Old 31-10-08, 08:52 PM

hi ,seems i put my big foot in it, wasn't aware you was talking canadian dress sorry. iain
Old 01-11-08, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

No problem iain. Your point added to the discussion. I had not thought about the differences between the issue of uniforms for the imperial forces as compared to the Dominions.

Tags
buttons, provost, service dress