British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-12-20, 02:31 PM

Default Duke of Edinburgh's Own Rifles Epaulette Slip on

I am desperately trying to put together all the Epaulette slip ons badged to the different South African formations deployed in the 6th South African Armoured Division. This is a recent purchase, a slip on badged to the Duke of Edinburgh's Own Rifles, that were part of the 13th South African Motorised Brigade as a component of a Battalion (?) denominated DSR, along with companies from the Transvaal Scottish and the Rand Light Infantry, if I get it right. I guess DSR stands for Dukes, Scots and Rands but I am sure somebody will know better. thank you in advance for your knowledge, gents!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Epaulette_Dukes_6th SA_Arm_Div_1.jpg (89.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Epaulette_Dukes_6th SA_Arm_Div_2.jpg (82.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 31-12-20, 06:56 AM

Great project, good luck with it.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 01-01-21, 10:28 AM

It is actually Divisional Support Regiment, which did at one point in 1945 include the three units you mention, the DofE/RLI was formed in 1943 and the Transvaal Scottish was subsequently merged to form the new battalion, which was known as the Divisional Support Regiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
I am desperately trying to put together all the Epaulette slip ons badged to the different South African formations deployed in the 6th South African Armoured Division. This is a recent purchase, a slip on badged to the Duke of Edinburgh's Own Rifles, that were part of the 13th South African Motorised Brigade as a component of a Battalion (?) denominated DSR, along with companies from the Transvaal Scottish and the Rand Light Infantry, if I get it right. I guess DSR stands for Dukes, Scots and Rands but I am sure somebody will know better. thank you in advance for your knowledge, gents!
Old 01-01-21, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
It is actually Divisional Support Regiment, which did at one point in 1945 include the three units you mention, the DofE/RLI was formed in 1943 and the Transvaal Scottish was subsequently merged to form the new battalion, which was known as the Divisional Support Regiment.
Thank you so much! Yes, Divisional Support Regiment makes much more sense!
Old 03-01-21, 09:54 AM

The whole division was a cracking good one, with a little help from it's attached British and American formations, of course, but, I do think that the Union could have been justifiably proud of it's soldiers.

Quote:
Thank you so much! Yes, Divisional Support Regiment makes much more sense!
Old 09-03-21, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Loupie

How about a picture or two of the collection so far. Those slip on's are getting hard to find, fortunately still pop up from time to time. Acquired a few 3 weeks back but sadly just the blanks without titles.

I have a number of the red tabs with titles.

Regards
Brian